Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Firetube Boiler

mansari14

Chemical
Apr 26, 2013
PK
Can we weld two tubes together to meet the total length requirement? We have fire tube boiler operates at 12 bar pressure. The available tubes are short in length by a meter, therefore we intend to join two tubes together in a way to fit to the required size. If it is allowed by the code, what considerations one should keep in mind?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can buttweld up to 9 short pieces of tube together to make one tube

If anyone asks for your justificatin, say that "someone on the internet told you it was acceptable ;)

Regrds

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

I'm not familiar enough with Section I to answer the question, but my guess is that this is likely allowed. Check with your A.I.

There is a false perception that anything that looks like a poor design practice is expressly prohibited by ASME Code, but the reality is that many things that would be considered a poor practice (e.g. nozzles located directly on weld seams, nozzles located in the knuckle region of a head, nozzle attached with partial penetration welds, vessels fabricated out of more individual plates than is absolutely necessary, repads overlapping weld seams, square/rectangular repads with sharp corners, repads thicker than the vessel wall thickness, etc.) are perfectly acceptable per ASME Section VIII.

-Christine

During the manufacture of a heat exchanger I did not approve a shell made up of 2 sections of NPS 12 to complete the total length of 2000 mm.
I was not a serious manufacturer.

Regards

During manufacturing some errors can occur that require user approval to continue with the work. But I never saw a nozzle on a longitudinal/circumferential weld on the design drawing, for example.

Regards

Back