Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

First ten days of work 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahyar

Chemical
Feb 15, 2005
CA
What do you do in first ten days of work in a new work place?
Things could be related to your phone, your computer, your colleagues etc.

Thanks for all your replies

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Arrange the desk.

Set up computer.

Locate standard details e.t.c.

Meet collegues.

Review previous jobs by the company to see levele of documentation e.t.c.

A good friend of mine just started with a new company. He spent a week and a half at his computer completing all the mandatory training modules required to satisfy the government, HR and environmental regulations...

old field guy

1) Bring some trade journals to read why you wait for your first project: Maxim, Lady Clair, GQ, Cosmo.

2) Surf the internet until the IT police come find you, so you know where the limits REALLY are for next time.

3) Look for all the best places to: a) take a nap, b) hide from your boss, c) pretend to look busy without actually doing anything, and d) take a nap (it's important enough to state twice).

4) Learn where every restroom is, what it's capacity is, and who uses what pot in each. I don't know about you, but a thin piece of paper just isn't enough protection against...[flush]

5) Start a rumor.

6) Organize your desk with everything at perfect 90 degree angles. Let your coworkers see you measuring it.

7) Adjust the volume on your computer speakers so everyone in your area can hear the audio from the youtube video you're watching.

8) Laugh uncontrollably loud at said video, then snort.

9) Find out what "Format C:" does to a network drive, and why IT allowed you security permissions to do it.

10) Download and install all your favorite file sharing apps to utilize the company's T3 connection: Napster, iTunes, streaming audio, bitTorrent, etc.

And finally, update your resume.

--Scott

Check if games are installed on your PC. If not you have a good indicator to the IT policy and management attitudes.
Look at everyone else's screen savers and if they are corporate or Windows ditto as above.
By the way, many a true word is spoken in jest.
It is important to learn the environment you will be working in.
Look for the clues.
Get to know your co-workers and let them get to know you.

JMW

You should also come in one morning unshaven and smelling of last night's beer and hookers. It's important to know your company's stance on "benders".

My first 10 days in my current job were a complete joke. Although I didn't change companies, I changed department and country. I had no idea who my line manager was. The ultimate boss had no idea what business we were in. In my first meeting, the acting technical director's first words were (after staring at a huge project plan): "F*%& me, we're right in the cack here!" A few days into this job and the big boss got fired.

Anyway, I just spotted this wikipedia page for those across the pond who can't understand a word of what we Brits call English:

- Steve

Find where the closest source of coffee is in the morning.
Find the best watering hole after 1700 (5pm)

As stated earlier, find the bathroom....

If your boss doesn't give you anything to do, read manuals and standards. There have got to be some around an engineering department. Even better if the manuals and standards were actually written by the department you're in!

Don't be late those first ten days. Otherwise they'll be looking for you to be late the rest of your time there.

Set up your voicemail. Set up dentist, doctor, and vision appointments with your new insurance.

Start the business card printing process.

Make sure all the department software is on your computer. Check with coworkers if there are programs they use that you don't have yet. Also if there are websites that are useful, and if there are permissions or passwords you need to access websites, network drives, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back