Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floor joists not bearing on LVL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan CA

Structural
Mar 10, 2018
CA
Hi everyone,

We have a situation where the wood floor joists are not bearing on an LVL beam. The contractor suggested that the gap between the joists and the LVL be filled by shimming 3 plies of 2x4s. The 2x4s will be stacked one abkve the next one, where the smaller dimension (1.5 inch) will be vertical (floor joists will be supported on the larger dimension of the 2x4s.

Is this acceptable in concept? Does it need to be calculated, or it is unacceptable regardless of the numbers?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jayrod12 said:
But then each 2x4 becomes a cantilevered member of sorts right?

Yesir.

jayrod12 said:
Therefore the top 2 screws provide a tension connection between the vert and the truss.

Kinda depends on how you look at it. I would still want a 2x8 sandwiched between the 2x4's such that it formed kind of a composite wood wide flange thing. One might assume the fasteners in pure shear under this arrangement. Just like the plywood scenario but better.

My ideal scenario would be if the girder was shallow with a generous flat top and intermittent, vertical webs. Then the stuff sketched below. I probably wouldn't even both to do anything between the webs.

C01_p2sgeu.png

Alan_CA said:
How would the engineered lumber be used go counteract fhe shrinkage of the 2x4s in this case?

Which case? Yours or XR250's?

Regardless, the engineered lumber doesn't shrink appreciably. So, if you're setup accrues more shrinkage than would mate well with the surrounding stuff, you sub in some engineered lumber to bring it back in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back