Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Four sided concrete roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

boricuastructural

Structural
Jul 12, 2007
US
Im an entry level engineer and have never designed a four sided roof (i think thats the term in english). I was wandering i you knew where to find information in regards on how to specify the reinforcement.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have consulted and researched this and found different ways to specify the steel. I have seen one that I can not understand. It has steel in both directions with standards hooks at the end and also the temp reinforcement. It is the same as placing the regular reinforcement with dowels?

boricuastructural,

Are you sure that this is meant to be done in concrete? It is usual to do this type of roof in timber trusses.

csd

Si Buena,

Watch out for the bowstring effect at the crank at the top. The bottom reinforcement should continue up to lap with the top reinforcement frm either side (i.e. a kind of a splice).

Otherwise if you just had a bent piece of bar it would want to straighten and would therefore break out of the cover concrete (like a bowstring).

csd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back