Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frequent failure of motor thrust bearing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khader001

Mechanical
Jul 7, 2016
RU
hi ,
the motor has combination of ball bearing and cylindrical roller bearing on the drive end. only cylindrical roller bearing on the non drive end side. The motor running in decouple condition the axial vibration is higher side comparing with horizontal and vertical. The thrust ball bearing failure frequency is every year

Driven machine has sleeve bearing with thrust collar axial float max 0.5mm
flexible coupling with 6.5mm gap between tow hubs

Is this symptom indicating the motor magnetic center not set properly
Motor : 2200HP
RPM :590rpm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

“…the motor has combination of ball bearing and cylindrical roller bearing on the drive end. only cylindrical roller bearing on the non drive end side.”

Because the motor has a cylindrical roller bearing on each end of the motor, it requires an additional ball bearing to hold the rotor in place during its operation.
It’s a bearing basically going for a ride.
The cylindrical roller bearings support the mass of the rotor. The ball bearing holds/controls shaft thrust forces.

About the failure, the outer race of the cylindrical roller bearing “hammered” around inside the bearing pocket/bracket (that it does not belong in)
because the fit was too loose. And also because it was free to slide back-n-forth on its inner race.

One other point: The manufacturer of the motor came up with a shaft journal dimension tolerance that’s acceptable for both styles of bearings.
For typically, a cylindrical roller bearing has a slightly tighter shaft fit requirement than a deep groove radial ball bearing.
Bearing housing fit tolerances for both styles of bearings are normally identical.

I'm going for a bike ride. Have a nice evening,

John

Thanks everyone. I see in the motors forum a video of 19.9 MB in *.MOV format. I'm out of time now but I'll try to save my files in *.MOV format and try again the next time I'm on the computer.
Thanks again.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back