Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

friction band clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyengIT

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2013
IT
Any standard reference for clamp design to be used as shown in picture (not pipe hangers but bracings)?
What about "ANSI/MSS SP-127-2014A" (I know just the title, so I don't know exactly what is talking about)?
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
band_clamp_photo_dn6ydy.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RobyengIT:
There have been several threads here on E-Tips on this subject, over the last 5-6 yrs., most likely on the Structural forum (#507), but maybe on the Gen. Mech. forum (#404) or the Welding forum (#725). Search for these threads here on E-Tips, search words are your guess, but ‘friction band clamp’ is a good place to start, “U” bolts, pipe clamps, etc.

EN74 prescribes 50Nm torque for tightening the couplers' bolts. With this value you could calculate the tension force induced in the bolt (based on the NASA Fastener Design Manual - see attached images)). I think you could find the a.m. manual on the web.

Once you calculate the tension force in the bolt (which is then transferred as compression to the coupler and the connected pipe) you can calculate the available friction resistance. This should give you an idea of the coupler friction resistance. You may use K value of 0.2 as indicated in the Manual.

Care should be taken when selecting the appropriate friction coefficient depending on the coating, painting or similar treatment of your pipes. Also, the torque of 50Nm should be adhered to at site since the tension/compression force is directly affected by it. If you want to be conservative regarding the torque you could use snug tight values as given in EN 1090.

2019-03-14_17_41_28-NASA_Fastener_design_manual.pdf_-_1_qk7qvm.png
2019-03-14_17_45_50-NASA_Fastener_design_manual.pdf_-_2_crwpnw.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back