Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Galvanic corrosion of magnesium with stainless steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilkenny

Mechanical
Dec 11, 2003
US
The link below suggests that there can be a severe galvanic corrosion risk when magnesium is adjacent to stainless steel.

My question is if this is true, does that mean that you should not use a steel or stainless helical insert (helicoil) or staked-in insert such as a keensert in a part made of magnesium? It is standard practice for my group to use stainless inserts when we design similar components using aluminum.

Kilkenny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For tools and fixtures, used in ambient-temp., dry environments, we used Keenserts (generally steel, but also stainless) and never had trouble. That said, I'd think hard if the aluminum or magnesium part were to be used in moist or marine environments, as the posts last week have pointed out.

Yes, it is true that severe galvanic attack will occur if magnesium and stainless steel are connected in the presence of an electrolyte. You will need to use other materials or coatings to eliminate this problem.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back