Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gas filter < 10 micron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
I'm using some inline Fram filters equivalent to the old AC GF-454. Gravity feed motorcycle. Fine rust makes it into the carburetors. I'm guessing a filter for electronic fuel injection would capture finer particles. Does anyone know of an EFI application using basic hose clamps and 1/4 or 5/16 inch lines.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are TONS... A quick look at any aftermarket parts source should easily find one in their web searches.. Jegs/Summit Racing,etc...

Sorry thought you wanted a 10 micron.. Not sub 10 micron..
That's much tougher to find.

What harm will <10 micron rust do to carburetors? Should pass right through, no?

Perhaps a magnetic filter? Sub 10 might starve the flow once it begins to plug up if that is your only filter. Could do a progressive filtering with the last in line being a 2 or 5.

Personally I would be looking to solve the problem of the rust being there in the first place.
Filtering it out is at best a band aid approach and not a solution.

Most motorcycle shops sell tank sealer kits which include a cleaner. They are also available from the same company making POR 15.

Cheers , Pete.

I agree with Peter, but make sure your tank sealer is ethanol resistant. A lot of gasoline has 10-15% ethanol in it.

I've been a fan of the tank sealers until recently. After 5 yrs or so, a lot of them are peeling and making a mess worse than a rusty tank. I have to clean a Triumph tank shortly and will be acid cleaning followed by a phosphating treatment, no sealer. Same for the oil tank, which gets too hot for sealer anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back