Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generator Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkees

Electrical
Jun 5, 2006
US
If this forum will recall, several weeks ago I posted, requesting advice for some 13.2KV generators that had burned up, and associated testing and monitoring. I have been monitoring, and performing test, and have not seen anything that looks out of the ordinary. Please remember I am new to power generation. I have had the gens. meggered, high potted and those test all indicate that all is well. I am monitoring using a Hioki 3196 power anaylzers and would gladly attach the charts, for viewing and the opinions of this forum. But I don't know how to attach, if someone tell me how I will gladly do it. I am currently getting faults that are not making any sense, and not showing on the Power Anaylizer charts, and I am tired of looking stupid when my boss ask why? I have a fault "Low Voltage, Low Frequency", and "Reactive Power Fault" on the same gen. at different times, and of course the gen. shuts down. Please help I am very confused.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The problem seems to be in your prime mover which is not getting up to speed fo some reason. Your low voltage is due low frequency which in turn is due to lower than rated speed. Check the prime mover governor settings. Is it a diesel engine ?

*When you are in darkness, no point praying to God. Instead, Pay the Utility Bill*

Yes, it is a Diesel. When I arrived at the site the engine was running and sharing the load (Parallel operation) I will check the governor.

Low terminal voltage due to low excitation on a machine synchronised to a larger network will cause a heavy leading power factor. This may explain the 'reactive power fault'. Also consider that some trandsucers, especially self-powered ones, can do weird things when the input voltage is low. It shouldn't be a problem in the normal operating range, but if the voltage is really low then strange results can appear.

To post an image, search the FAQ's for 'image'. It is the first FAQ in the list on my computer.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back