Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Geometric Properties dialog box precision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout67

Mechanical
May 7, 2013
US
The search feature didn't answer this question.

Is it possible to set the number of decimal places displayed in the "Geometric Properties" dialog box?

It is a very handy tool, but would like to increase its precision.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know about the window (I will look at that later) but you may want to try saving the geometric properties as an expression and work with them from there. Expand the menu and look for the associative check mark.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

The decimal places in your information window can be changed in your Customer Defaults. There are two places for the different units.
File (pull-down) > Utilities > Customer Defaults > Gateway

junk6_mcbt72.png

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

The picture is actually wrong, I am not showing the two places (units) to change them, but you can see where to change for millimeters and you can probably find the inches from there.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

Jerry, thanks for attempting to answer this.

I have set the dialog box decimal places to 6, Info window to 12, and tracking bar to 4. Unfortunately the geometric properties dialog results still appear as 3 place decimals.

So the search continues.

If you changed your Customer Defaults, it won't take effect until you restart NX and create a new file.

Before you restart, try changing the settings under Preferences -> User Interface -> Options (on the left) and make sure the dialog is fully expanded and you should find entries for all 3 items. If Use System Precision is checked/ticked, un-check it and enter 12 if that's how many decimal places you feel is required.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP4
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

I have a feeling that the geometric properties dialog box is hard coded for 3 decimal places and won't be affected by any of the above options. I don't think you can adjust the number of decimal places for this particular dialog.

I suggest contacting GTAC and opening an incident report (IR), if what you want is possible, they will tell you how to change it; if it is not, your IR will be turned into an enhancement request (ER) for possible inclusion into a future version of NX.

www.nxjournaling.com

Before I changed it to eight, as shown in the pic, it was 3 places, and worked correctly after I changed it and rebooted, the next day.

Jerry J.
UGV5-NX11

I also believe it is hard coded to (3) places. Another very limiting aspect is it seems to also be hard coded to use absolute and does not recognize the WCS locaton and orientation.

A while back Siemens was talking about discontinuing Geometric Properties and when I asked a dev about it, he wouldn't or couldn't say what the replacement was. Geometric Properties is an extremely valuable tool for many users so I sincerely hope they do not discontinue it but I hope a lot more that they improve it or even replace it with a better tool.

Another feature that should be added to it is dynamic slope analysis. The current slope function works great but is too cumbersome to use for quick checks, not to mention is separate from the Geometric Properties dialog. Some mid-tier cad/cam software, such as Mastercam, have had it for years.

NX 11.0.2
NX 12.0.2
EAP's and beta

For the record, I'm talking about the "results" section of the geometric properties dialog box when you do a "dynamic" analysis and drag the cursor over a face; the results here seem to be fixed at 3 decimal places. Perhaps I misunderstood the question; if so, sorry to add to the confusion.

www.nxjournaling.com

cowski, you are understanding correctly. The "results" display using the dynamic geometric properties.

Sorry for the confusion. It is nice to have the immediate feed back of the dynamic.

Thank you all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back