Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google takes action on Climate Change Hoaxsters 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
The polar areas are warming at more than twice the amount of the rest of the globe. This is already causing problems with construction in permafrost... it's now in the active layer. In addition thawing permafrost is releasing 'stored' methane, which is a worse greenhouse gas than CO[sub]2[/sub], adding a little more fuel to the fire. As the polar caps melt, less sunlight is reflected, further increasing temperatures. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight. [pipe]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

John Kerry is now warning Putin that his invadion of Ukraine will make climate change worse, and that he should think about his actions. The lamb warning the wolf.

I almost fell off my chair and spilled my coffee... [lol]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

dik said:
More farfetched items could be the redistribution of the mass of ice may increase seismic activity and volcanoes.

This is exactly what we need, more seismic activity to push the land back above the oceans. It's self-repairing.

Sorry, this isn't the pub but I couldn't resist the humor.

I don't know either, Hokie, but the change in surface weight distribution may have some unintended effects. We're talking megatonnes, here.

-Dik

They've found the way to make the most money is to get people interacting with each other and they know arguments generate the most interaction, so they intentionally generate maximum controversy and simultaneously feed to opposite sides of the fire. The stupider the argument, the longer the controversy goes on, because there is no universaly acceptable answer to the question.

Dying coral reefs break down into sand and it washes up on the nearest beach,

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Different subject, dik. Not everything is about poorly sited cities. We were talking about small Pacific Island nations, often used for scaremongering about climate change.

@Hokie ...or maybe even Bangladesh,with a population exceeding 163 million people in an area of either 148,460 square kilometres (57,320 sq mi) or 147,570 square kilometres. This and others will likely be submerged. It's pointless to be glib about having land masses rise and this will be salvation. I'd like to 'rest my hat' on something more substantive.

-Dik

Sea level is a is a slow process. You're not going to wake up one day to wet feet. Worst cases you won't be able to will your house to your children. But maybe sea level rise is a good thing? As the levels rise the population will be pushed out of old, inefficient cities into new, public transit oriented cities.

Sure enough, but it going to happen and we caused it to happen. Tell that to the poor sod that has to move because of our excesses.

-Dik

Bangladesh, specifically its capital, is sinking because of groundwater extraction, marsh draining, dredging, and concrete covering the ground, so all rainwater gets flushed down drains instead of being absorbed by soil. There's also a mass loading effect, I'm not sure how significant that is. Similar story in many third world poster boy cities that are sinking. Sure, the general sea level rise is contributing, but it is pretty small, around one foot per century.

Post-Glacial_Sea_Level_rise2_usvdms.png

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

...so it will sink more.

-Dik

Sorry guy with the Antarctic glaciers calving... some of the old stuff is going away, too.

-Dik

Remember, The Yosemite was carved by glaciers that are long gone.

However, for the discussion to be meaningful we must define "old stuff".

One interesting thing to note, much shore infrastructure was built to survive anything that may happen over the next 100 years and all of the older stuff has done just that. It seems the designers of old knew more than we do today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back