Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Google takes action on Climate Change Hoaxsters 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just going to say, but those links did that quite well, so I can focus on glacial rebound.
BTW I will add this link to detailed glacier info
Is there some point to Yosemite? Yosemite was never touched by sheet glaciers. It was the result of the melting of localized mountain glaciers. The melt water also carved the Mississippi river. The same effect continues today from melting mountain glaciers in the Alps that feed the Rhine, the Rhone, the Danube and the Po. Mountain glaciers are melting everywhere, even in Colombia, Peru and Chile. The point there being that they are melting still today. More and more every year. Santa Marta, Colombia lost 90% in the last 30 yrs.

As for the sea levels response to glacial unloading, it is a combination of rebound and ice that has
melted since. The graph does not separate the two effects, but these figures can, and its not over. Even this guy agrees ...
If all ice melted 67m (from a denier, 2005 source)
"Globally ice (both grounded and floating) represents about 2% of the world's water, with about 1,350,000,000 km3 of water in the oceans."
"The total volume of ice then was perhaps 80,000,000 cubic kilometers, or between two and three times as much as today. Correspondingly, world sea level was about 120 meters lower"
"Thus, the net addition to the world's oceans would be about 24,000,000 km3 of water spread over the 361,000,000 km2 area of the world's oceans, giving a depth of 67 meters."
Click the map link there on that page to see what 67m looks like.

Important to note that glacial rebound takes many thousands of years, so we won't benefit from that for a very very long time. The water will first rise to 67 or 120m. Besides I would expect the rebound to occur more where the center of glacial ice rested, not so much on the edges, so central Canada, Greenland, Russia and Antarctica might expect that to happen, but other places may not see it. The other places include all the cities marked on the graph.

It would seem that the only controversy is regarding the total amount of rise 67m (2005 data) to 120m and the time its going to take for that to happen. Rebound will follow, 25,000 years too late.

The effects, when they come, will not be like a slowly filling a bath tub that's not noticeable year on year. It will be felt in perfect storm events when high wind driven storm tides combine with spring tides and a rainy season's increase in river water levels all occur simultaneously to take out first the regions of lower elevations. After which the regions affected will be those that were formerly higher above previous sea levels. Today its London, Amsterdam, New Orleans, NYC, Boston, Sydney, Miami, you know the places. Tomorrow, Denver:) we're not going to drown from water finally reaching our noses in 100yrs. You'll all get carried off when you're standing on dry beach sand by a 4m wave on top of a spring tide during a level 6 hurricane and a tsunami generated in Japan, maybe not by an earthquake, but rather a comet impact. A series of black swan impossible Fukushima events, which we will never see coming, but somehow arrive anyway, sitting on top of ever increasing sea level, will slowly eat up the coastal areas, then progress inland. This year you need all three events to occur simultaneously. 25yrs from now, only 2 coinciding events will be necessary. 50 yrs from now, only one will do. Nature doesn't do things slowly, except over geologic time. Its always driven by catastrophic events. What we feel are earthquakes, landslides, floods, volcanos, tsunamis, tornadoes and level 5 hurricanes. We hardly take notice of a level #4 anything these days. Probably a hundred black swans arrive every year. Hardly worth the click on YouTube to see one. Very common really. A months ago, would you have thought Putin would invade Ukraine? Over geologic time, black swans fly in massive formations and come home to roost every night. The flock is gathering. But let's not worry about any slow global warming, now that we know the comet is on the way.

Lots of info here.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

Yacca - any plant of the Australian genus Xanthorrhoea, having a woody stem, stiff grasslike leaves, and a spike of small white flowers: family Xanthorrhoeaceae.

Help me out here. I am acronym challenged enough when it only has 3 letters. 4 is extremely difficult, and (to quote Monty Python), 5 is right out.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Give me a break. What thread in this forum runs on rails?

A third rail possibly.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

yacca's OK, woody is OK... as long as things don't get pithy... [pipe]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I'm sorry I asked!

I will say, you should have known not to. [poke]
Next time.

where have I heard that before? [ponder]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I doubt it's over. Let's just be polite and say there is currently a lack of questions.

If you have one, its my thread, so be my guest and ask away. If not, the upper left buttons will move you along.

Having nothing more to add about the topic of a thread is a piss poor excuse for turning it into a completely off topic argument, especially about a topic that has been covered ad-nauseum already in other areas of this site. It ruins the point of having a professional forum which is structured towards having threads that consist of on-topic questions and answers.

I also don't need your permission to post in any thread or any area of this site.

There are no questions. Any evocative conversation is being smashed by our data overlords (Alphabet). Does this bring us back on topic?

LionelHurtz said:
I also don't need your permission to post in any thread or any area of this site.

FWIW, I think the Original Poster (OP) who started a thread has an unofficial duty to help "police" the thread. By that I mean to help keep replies civil when other posters are passionate about a topic. Also, to keep it "on topic" and not let it diverge too much into other subjects.

Personally, I think 1503-44's comment was a nice way of saying that your previous post is the type of thing that he (or others like myself) might red flag if the behavior continues. Don't take he post as argumentative or an insult.... Rather, I suggest you take it as a polite warning that you're pushing the bounds of acceptable behavior on this thread.

So today I see that a number of platforms are demonitizing Russian interests. RT is hit by YouTube and others are being slapped by Twitter, et al. One technical website I read has outright banned all Russian participation. Banned from EU airspace, even Formula I and many football clubs say they're in too and will not drive, play, or otherwise monitize any Russian interest. Is that unfair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back