Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graphic card choice 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

daanh

Industrial
Sep 23, 2005
NL
Hi, I'm a SW teacher here in Holland. We need graphic cards, because the on-board Intel chip just doens't work. We can't afford expensive cards, but even a low-end CAD card will make a lot of difference for us I think.

I'm checking out two cards: the ATI FireGL 3100 for 100 euros, and the Nvidia Quadro FX540 for 180 euros. We need 42 of these.

Does anyone have an opinion on why to buy which? Is the Quadro really faster and more stable? Does the ATI suck and why?

Thanks a lot!

Daan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Daan,

Check the FAQ section faq559-936 also do a search on this forum because this topic repeats itself once a month. But for the ultimate truth regarding video cards check SWx's corporate website
Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me.

- Woody Allen

I'm running the Quadro FX 540 on a Dual Pentium Workstation with Dual monitors (Horizontal Span). I have run FEA software and SolidWorks simultaneously (I don't usually like to do this because of the system memory required) and it has worked EXTREMELY well. I can dynamically revolve the model pretty easily unless the FEA software starts to really work on the math of a complicated finite element model.

I don't know about the FireGL 3100, but I can definitely endorse the FX540.

Garland

Garland E. Borowski, PE
Borowski Engineering & Analytical Services, Inc.

Thanks, but I already read all that info. I just want to ask if anyone can compare these two cards in valua for money.

That would be extremely subjective. For me getting the video card is where I spend my money, then RAM, then processor. I personally like the nVidia cards. I have a three year old PNY 750 XGL with nVidia Quandro4 graphics chip and it screams. I can run Pro/e, SWx and MasterCAM concurrently. I have yet to feel limited by my graphics card. I wouldn't let money be the driving factor think about what you want to do with the system and then pick a card. Because if you go cheap I you will regret it once your systems are affected

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get me.

- Woody Allen

Daan, what school are you from? I'm dutch as well.
About the advise: in my opinion either go for a workstation card (quadro / firegl) or an nvidia desktop card. The nvidia desktop drivers seem much closer to the quadro drivers in terms of stability than ati's.

I have an nvidia geforce 6600GT agp at home and it is way faster than an ati firegl t2-128 (in SW2005)...

Stefan Hamminga
Mesken BV
2005 Certified SolidWorks Professional
Mechanical designer/AI student

SWEET!! Thanks GBor! Just yesterday I was looking at getting that very card, thinking that it would be my best option. (It's the PNY version) I think I'll pull the trigger today...

I talked to SW the other day and they said the ATI 3100 has been having numerous Performance issues lately (SW06 only).

This same problem could happen to any card used (Nvidia included) and the drivers, but right now it's the ATI 3100.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back