Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grinding wheel hardness data

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgt74

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2003
US
Hi,
Does anyone know any database that corelates the grades of grinding wheels to the hardness (in knoop and rockwell) on the web or in any book that I can refer to?

kgt74

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, i think that any supplier of grinding wheels could help you. To be more specific, maybe Milacron or Norton grinding wheel manufacturer could have the information you need.I bet they have their own website.

I believe there is no corelation between the grade of the bond and machanical scales like Rockwell and Knoop. The grade of the wheel reflects how strong the bond holds abrasive grains and not how hard a material it is. Two methods are used to test the grade of the vitrified bond wiht CBN: sandblasting and sound conductvity. In first case, a spot on the wheel is sandblasted and the cavity is measured. The softer the bond, the larger the cavity. In second case, special electronic device measures the sound conductivity of the wheel. For more info write me at gurinovich@abrazive.spb.ru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back