Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Has the split body command changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthwesternDesign

Automotive
Apr 8, 2009
US
In NX 7.5, I am splitting the body in two and noticed that the orginal body is still retained. What I am doing is comparing two models to see the mass difference between the two. By splitting it into smaller sections, I am able to narrow down the proximity of the areas that are different. With the original bodies retained, it makes it difficult to select what I want.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What version were you using prior to NX 7.5 where you were seeing a different behavior? Note that we have made some changes recently in this function, but none that I was aware of that was specific to NX 7.5.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Basically, the split body is now a feature instead of simply creating two unparamertized features. Also, if I want to split multiple bodies at the same time, I cannot do it now.

Thank you. It will work as you have said, but with multiple steps now. Split, remove parameters, delete, (repeat the same for each body that you want to split). Kinda wish that it was the same as NX5.

Customers had been demanding for years (this was first requested back in the mid-90's right after we started delivering Feature-Based modeling) that we implement an associative Split Body command.

And before you ask, the reason why there is NO option to create a non-associative result, it's because, as you've already mentioned, the results of using old function was to remove ALL of the parametrics of the original body(s), something that we didn't want to happen without the user knowing exactly what it was that was happening. Therefore we decided to implement it the way that you see it now so that if that was actually what the user was willing to live with, that it WOULD require an extra step.

Now back to the procedure which I previously outlined; if you wish to Split multiple bodies using multiple datum planes (or sheet bodies), you can select all of the bodies at once and you can select all of the datum planes (or sheet bodies) at once, and since this will result in a SINGLE Split Body feature, in the end you will only need to perform a Single Remove Parametrics operation.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

My basis is 14 years of using this function for a quick and dirty split. It worked just fine. If you were trying to please a select group by changing it, give us an associative radio button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back