Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Helical Protrusion file size

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwalters

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2009
US
I've recently changed employers and am now using SE V20 (which I had used in the past) after using SE ST for about 1.5 years. I'm having a bit of a problem.

I can't be sure, but I think when I was at my former employer and was still on V19 and V20 I had made helical protrusions, added adjustable part values, and used them as auto adjusting compression springs in assemblies. I know I had done this in ST and it wasn't a problem whatsoever.

Yesterday, I made a small helical protrusion. Ø.120 X Ø.024 X 1.000 with 25.8 coils. This single feature created a file size ~17mb. Now unless I'm crazy, such was not the case before since I had assemblies with 10+ springs in them. With this new extra large file, I can't even add it to an assembly without the computer staggering let alone set it as adjustable.

Are there still any older non ST users out there who can maybe attempt a similar part and let me know what the file size is? Maybe I have something set wrong.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, don't have time to play around right now but helical protrusions get big (memory wise) fast.

I had simple springs back in the day with maybe 5 coils or so which bogged down my computer when put in a fairly small assembly.

This is why I rarely use them, unless I need a detail drawing of the spring, I just model a hollow tube for compression springs, similar to the concept of how you used to draw them in 2D. Even for a drawing of a spring you may get away without all the detail, maybe just a turn or two at each end of the spring at most.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

KENAT;

I wouldn't mind using a representation if I hadn't previously been able to use an actual spring model.

donyoung; Thank you. Now I have to figure out what I'm messing up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back