Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello I am looking for some guid

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstolp

Aerospace
Nov 5, 2002
US
Hello

I am looking for some guidance concerning aircraft bonding-ground return for a large motor. (Note: aircraft electrical systems use the aluminum structure as the negative-ground return for all electrical components) I am working on a twin engine, turbo-prop that is undergoing an airframe overhaul. This aircraft has an aluminum fuselage with the engine mounts made out of welded steel tubing. All the structural components in the engine mount to airframe interface are of course heavily primed/painted. Each engine has a 28VDC starter/generator. Additionally, a main battery and various other electrical components are in each nacelle area. I need to determine what materials, (flexible braided straps, solid-flat plated copper straps ??) and what sizes are required. The generator output is rated @ 200A and I believe the starter pulls in the area of 400 to 600 amps (short duration). Also where do I need to stop with the bonding (large current ground return)? Does the wing (1 piece) to fuselage attach point require attention too?

Thanks for the help

J. Stolp

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jstolp
Check the bonding and grounding requirements for aircraft
in the following:
Airframe handbook asa-ac65-15a
or
see the following web site
av-info.faa/dst/43-13/ch11-15.doc
nickbo

Must not be military. All military EMI design guides forbid running current's through the chassis.

I'm surprised this is done elsewhere, as this makes the entire aircraft a flying antenna.

TTFN

Small encore: Reference:
MIL-C-83413A(1) SUP 1 NOT 1 Active 5935 CONNECTORS AND ASSEMBLIES, ELECTRICAL, AIRCRAFT GROUNDING, GENERAL SPECIFICATION FOR
(Specification dated 23 March 1984)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back