Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with CFD program selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharag

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2002
US
I was wondering if anyone could point me in a direction where I may be able to see a thorough comparison of different CFD programs? Or can someone recommend a capable solution?

My company makes Infant Incubators. We use a thermal source with fans blowing across it to produce warm air that envelopes an infant. So depicting air velocity gradients is important. We would like to see thermal results over a period of time. It would be nice to consider the affect of moisture upon the system if possible. I believe it is important to find a CFD program that has adaptive meshing capabilities especially if the flow becomes turbulent.

Right now we saw a demo of FloWorks (we are considering moving to SolidWorks). It is a nice solution that is integrated with SolidWorks. The one thing I cannot tell is whether it has adaptive meshing. Another program that I hear is a good solution is CFDesign. I believe it communicates with SolidWorks well. Have I missed any other possible CFD solutions? Cost is a concern. Around $10,000 is the max.

Are there other features that I have not mentioned that should also be considered?

Thanks
oharag

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think you are going to find many CFD packages for under $10,000. I think FloWorks and CFDesign would work well for your application, though CFDesign might be over your price limit. (I've used CFDesign, Fluent/IcePak, and FloTherm in the past - CFDesign gets my vote for easiest to use, good CAD to CFD interface, and best meshing.)

You might look into Fluent - it has all the functionality and more (not that you really need it for your app) than the 2 software packages you mentioned. It is pretty pricey, but they have a pricing option where you buy the pre and post processor, and then run the solver off of their computer (they give you a set # of hours) - a good way to go if you don't have a lot of analysis to do.

Brett Goldstein

The top three CFD codes (based on worldwide sales) are:
Fluent,
Star-CD,
and CFX at a distant third.

----

Not only is CFD fairly pricy, but there is a significant learning curve to properly using it. The problem which you have described seems fairly straightforward for CFD. If you are only going to do this analysis a few times, you may want to instead consider employing a consultant to do this problem for you. You could contract a CFD vendor, or an independent consultant. I know that CD/Adapco has significant consulting services, and I think Fluent does also.

I would only recommend purchasing such software if you plan on having somebody 50%+ devoted to doing such analyses. CFD (and much of CAE) is often not well-utilized by people who only dabble with it on occasion.

Just my thoughts.
Regards,
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back