Hi all, I am working on piping wor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bo7winner

Mechanical
May 27, 2014
TN
Hi all,
I am working on piping works in gas project.
our contractor suggest to use body material ASTM A216 WCB for globe valves instead of required ASTM A694 F65.
Does any one help to know the standard/norm requirement,shall accecpt or reject this suggestion?
please help me .
bo7winner

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

b07winner,

More information is going to be needed before anyone can give you any helpful advice.

What is your commodity?
What is your piping NPS?
What is your design temp?
What is your design pressure?

A694 is the specification for carbon and alloy steel forgings under high-pressure transmission service.
A216 is the specification for steel castings for high temperature service.

Do you have copies of the ASTM standards?

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hi DGrayPPD,
thanks for reply,below my response to your qustion:
commodity:
piping NPS:6"
design temp:-20 / 85 c
design pressure:92 bar
I don't have the ASTM standards.
bo7winner

IMO, both A216-WCB and A694-F65 are in the CS material group and interchangeable. You may check the applicable Code, such as B31.3, for the material application to suit your design condition.

bo7winner,

I forgot to ask, what is your design code? And what is the contractors reasoning for wanting to use A216 over A694?

- Benjamin Franklin

I am not familiar with the BS code. I can not say for sure that it is acceptable to swap the materials. As I said earlier, A694 is a forging intended for high yield steel. A216 is a carbon steel casting whose equivalent forging is A105. Their tensile requirements are slightly different. I would suggest purchasing a copy of the standards and comparing for yourself. But if the deviation is agreed upon then, IMO, a formal deviation request should be filled out and signed off on between all parties involved if this request deviates from the spec.

- Benjamin Franklin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back