Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

High Head Low Flow - Opinions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

longeron

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2002
US
The earlier thread about Sundyne pumps got me thinking. There are a few well known names in the high head/ low flow segment of pump OEMs. Of course Flowserve, Goulds, and the other majors will offer straight vaned versions of their ANSI products, but I'm thinking of specificly designed pumps. Sundyne, SIHI, KSB, Roth, and Aurora come to mind. What is your take on these OEMs and or who else have you come across?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As already explained, Sundyne vertical turbine pump is a niche product which as far as I know does not have a real competition. For a similar set of duties, most other manufacturers will recommend a multistage pump - I was once offerred a 14 stage pump to 'replace' a Sundyne ...it is really no brainer what will be the choice - even though maintanence guys will swear at Sundyne sometime , the alternatives might be even more troublesome.

We replaced a reciprocating pump in water wash service a few years ago. It pumps water at about 50 gpm and 1000 psi. Sundyne would have been an obviouis choice. Instead, we put in a 15 stage stacked rotor horizontal multi-stage. This pump has much higher efficiency than the Sundyne. It took a much smaller motor as a result. It has been running for two years with no problems at all. It was purchased from Sulzer. Following this project, we built a new Hydrocracker that required a water wash pump. The project decided to purchase as pair of Sundynes. These pumps both failed within the first two months. One was a wreck when the inducer came unscrewed. Sundyne covered this under warranty since it was obvious it had not been tightened properly. Both Sundyne pumps have had seal failures (one product seal and one gearbox). Considering initial capital cost, energy cost, spare parts, maintenance and everything else, I would not even consider Sundyne for a similar project in the future. Roto-Jet makes a good high head, low flow pump in single stage. Otherwise, I would go with a multi-stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back