High-Strength NSF-61 Certified Plastics? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

balloon

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2015
US
Hello!

I am designing a product that is inserted into potable water applications. I am looking for a high strength (~16 ksi yield strength, 1000 ksi elastic modulus) plastic that is NSF-61 certified.

I have tried Delrin 150 NC010 (10 ksi yield strength, 420 ksi elastic modulus), but it ended up being too weak and flexible. I found Zytel 77G33L NC010 (25 ksi yield strength, 1200 ksi elastic modulus) today, which looks like it might work well, but I am hoping to find a few other options.

Ideally, the plastic would be readily available in stock materials, and then able to be molded, extruded, or machined to final form. Water absorption is also a factor; the less, the better (Zytel is .30% after 24 hours).

Thank you for the help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the replies!

I'm working my way through the list ornerynorsk sent to see if any of these materials match my required properties.

Pud, the water temperatures range from 15 to 250°F and it will be constantly submerged.

Hello.

To achieve the desired mechanical properties, only a ABS, PC, nylon or POM reinforced with 30, 40 or really 50% of glass fiber. Case should be taken when you choose nylon because of water absorption. Only polimeric materials reinforced with glass fiber can be used, but the material became a fragile mechanical behaviour.
Antoher material that could be used is the thermoplastics materials called 'special polymers', as PAR, PEEK, PI, LCP, PSU and so on... But when you choose this materials the price rises!
To better adjust your requirements to the plastic material, you could use a generic database plastic selector for a better choose of the plastic material, like, omnexus.com, matweb.com, IDES.com, m-base.com and a specific database like CAMPUS.

Hope i could help.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back