Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hilti Profis Suite to start charging a license fee 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryhd2

Structural
Dec 10, 2004
US
Hilti has (or had) a great design tool for designing anchorage.

They now have an online cloud-based tool, but they want to charge a fee.... $360/yr for a small office. I'm not sure if they're going to keep updating their free desktop version or not.

The fee seems nominal, but it seems it's going to open the floodgates for other manufacturers to start charging for their design tools. I know we use their tool to design cast-in-place anchors (not a Hilti product) but it's mainly used to calculate anchorage using their product. Competing manufacturers also have the CIP design in their software so it's not like it's unique.

Anyone else have an issue with this?... paying a manufacturer for a tool to help design using their product.

thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure why people are upset about this. It was mentioned in this thread and on Hilti's website that the current version will remain free. They now have a premium version that looks to be almost dirt cheap in terms of software costs. They aren't taking away any resources, they're just adding more powerful ones at what looks like a discount. In addition, they're giving you the next 3 months to try the premium version for free, which is a pretty decent trial. Miningman called it in the first post.

Yes if you look at the features, they are not taking any features away, but does charge for new features. I think Hilti is being pretty fair.

That said, the point regarding Simpson having free software should be concerning to Hilti; its a competitive market and I would not hesitate to specify Simpson over Hilti if they give a better and free software. Still does not seem like a wise business move for Hilti. Time will tell.

I don't blame Hilti for wanting it both ways: pay Hilti to design their super-expensive fasteners and then singe-spec those super-expensive fasteners so that contractors have no choice but to buy them from Hilti.

Nice work if you can get it.

I can't say I'd be even be interested in any of the features in the premium suite anyway. I wouldn't even use Profis for cast-in tbh, if I'm casting anchors in usually I have enough load I need to develop bar into the breakout cone anyway.

All things being equal regarding fastener manufacturer preference etc, the questions are simple enough in my mind:

How many hours of design time will the annual fee cost me? How many hours of design time will the tool save me over a year? Can I build the cost of the software into a project fee as a tool to perform my scope?

JLNJ said:
sing[l]e-spec those super-expensive fasteners so that contractors have no choice but to buy them from Hilti.

I tend to note "OR EQUAL" whenever I'm unsure. And, yes, there have been times where the contractor came back asking about using a Simpson adhesive instead. Thankfully Simpson has an epoxy anchor design tool now, so it's much easier to verify which of their epoxies will work.

Teh - I'm aware of the name change but I was referring to the cloud based version of the Powers/Dewalt software. Where I work the company won't install any third party software. Whenever I need to do anchor design I have to it at home.

Bridgebuster, Ramset Australia has iExpert online software which sounds similar to your old Powers, and it claims to have a US calculation method included. Ramset is owned by ITW; not sure how big they are in the US anchor market but an ITW brand might have software you could use during work hours. I haven't used it for >6 months due to system incompatibility though.

In Australia, I'd guess Ramset is second to Hilti. Ramset owns the 'Chemset' brand name.

What is interesting is the ignorance some of you display when it comes to anchoring and products. First the base software from Hilti under the new PROFIS Engineering, that is anchoring to concrete is still FREE, just like the old PROFIS Anchor. So what is the problem? If you dont need or want to use the premium version for its small monthly payment and your would rather hand calc or other for masonry, COMD, baseplate etc, than dont buy it. Simple.

Second relative to anchors, interesting when i compare products, that is Hilti to Simpson, et. al. Amazing how i get similar loads for around half the embedment, no reductions for wet concrete, lower concrete temperature use without warming the concrete above 50, great in my area, no hole cleaning, epoxy doesn't have to be warmed, etc.

If you dont see that as a benefit for a contractors ease of install to hit your design loads, than you need to pick up an ESR and compare...in other words do your job.

It is my opinion that manufacturers of products (those who make money from sales of their systems, ie. steel joists, anchors, holdowns, etc..) should offer free tools for engineers to use if they want us to specify their products. This is the cost of their doing business as they make money from sales of products. From what I have seen, Hilti is on their way out either way as many engineers that I have talked with over the years refuse to specify their products because it is extremely difficult to find information on their anchors. Simpson on the other hand made their information easily available and understandable and because of this it is all I will specify. If the contractor want's to use Hilti (or other) as an equal they are welcome to do that, but must prove to me it has the same capacity as the specified Simpson product.

I come from the days of "Wej-it" & "Rawl". I STILL prefer to pull the book off the shelf and solve my challenges within the hour. I have expressed to HILTI my dissatisfaction with their decision to charge, but, I am where I am and the decision-makers of HILTI are where they are. Choosing my battles, I refrain from revolution in this area.

Over the past decade, plus, I've been dedicated to Simpson for a reason.

Earlier this year, on a building addition, the (over 100) Simpson Titens I specified did not perform as intended. Similar HILTI anchors would have acted the same way. The problem was sub-standard grouting and unacceptable anchor placement into vertical head joints. In the future I will specify adhesive anchors for this application.

Bottom line, HILTI stepped in, spending many hours, in the field and through email and phone correspondence, to provide an adhesive solution, with field testing at no charge. Over the following months, on smaller projects, HILTI has provided support assistance solving other issues. This specific support from HILTI is what is causing me to give them a chance with the Profis Engineering Suite.

Support and assistance goes a long way. Powers and Simpson may have done the same thing, but, HILTI just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

CapnT seems suspicious. Joins yesterday and brings a 4 month old post back to the front. I can't determine if he works for Hilti or not.

Regardless, I think most of the shock with regards to the software relate to the fact that a large warning popped up when people tried to use the software. They were not sure if the free version of the software was going to continue or if they were now going to have to pay. I use their software, but not enough to justify paying for it. It doesn't help that the manufacturers can force the hands of the designers by switch the naming style of their products effectively force upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back