Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hobby job from a rural trout farm...they need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kobavr

Electrical
Mar 28, 2011
TR
Hi everyone,

I want to learn that can we generate some volts using a 3phase 380V motor.?
For 1500 rpm, there is a wheel working with water flow and some reductor.
Just with rotating the motor's rotor, can we read some volts on stator and can we energize some lamps.

Thank you..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The answer is, maybe. But there are a lot of ifs, ands and buts in the process, and this site is intended to be "tips" for established electrical engineers, not a basic educational site. I suggest that from the nature of your question, you will need to hire a qualified EE, because there are a lot of safety issues involved in generation that are above and beyond what you may be familiar with from regular control.

If you are bent on doing this without professional help, I suggest doing a search on "low head hydro induction generator" on the internet, there are a lot of do-it-yourself off-grid power enthusiasts willing to provide basic education, usually in echange for buying things from them.

"Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum."
— Kilgore Trout (via Kurt Vonnegut)

For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

If it is a small water instalation I would suggest you generate DC, or rectify AC, then use an inverter to put the energy on line.
The inverter releases you from a bunch of speed, and protection restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back