Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole in Thick Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchattie

Automotive
Apr 19, 2006
GB

I have a thick surface which follows the profile of a car door, and need to make a hole through it - but the hole command will not do it! The result appears OK in the tree, but does not show on the graphic.

I have tried poclet aswell, but it does the same.

I need the hole for an assembly drawing.

Thanks

James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure you have define the Part Body as the 'In work object' - can you see the hole now?

If not, double click the hole in the tree to enter its definition and make sure that pad that defines the hole is sufficiently deep to pass fully through the part - if necessary reverse the direction of the hole.

Im editing the piece as a Catpart - so its the only object on the screen.

I have already extended the dimensions of the hole to beyond the walls of the surface - still not working.

Im using v13 - is there an issue with V13?

Mmm, strange. What happens when you make the Part Body the in work object and then hit the update button - does the model fully re-build?

Try this, create another body and put a pad in it that represents the hole. Then do a Boolean operation to remove this body from the original thick surface and see if this leaves you with a part with a hole in it. Bit difficult to tell what it might be without seeing the part or the spec tree - could be worth cleaning the part (File - Desk - Right click on the parts and then select CAT5DUA. Select Clean and then hit Run. Once the utility has run, refile the part in the usual way).

Also, make sure all of your surface are in No Show, if the parent element of the thick surface is visible you won't see the hole.

There was no mistake on the part of flangewiper. He is correct in suggesting that you should (manually) make the part body active. Since we can't see your model, the logical assumption is that there COULD be multiple part bodies in your model, and you may be trying to insert the hole in the wrong Part Body.

---
CAD design engineering services - Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Sorry to be slow - but I havent been taught that far yet. I can see how to put the sketch into a different geo-set but I only get the choice of Set 1 and Partbody.

How do I add Geo-set 2 to the list?

Thanks

Ok, the pictures make it a little easier to understand. Using Catia5 as a guide, you need to expand the Pocket Definition command box by clicking the More button. This will allow you to access the parameters for the second limit of the pocket. Then you can do one of the following, either select Dimension as the limit type and then bang in a figure of say 100mm which should extend the pocket to the left sufficiently to break out of the thick surface, or change the limit type to Up to Surface and select a face on the left hand side of the thick surface. Both should give the same result.

Also, your thick surface like a tube with a very thin wall thickness - the two ends aren't closed off. Is this what you intended or did you want a solid block? If you want a block there a re a number of ways to do it.

Thanks for your reply - I have tried the whole range of settings, Upto Next, Dimension, Upto Last - nothing is working!

The model is the start of a Vehicle door and there are parts to go inside it - so it needs to be hollow.

Here's one more suggestion - make the main body a solid volume. Insert your pockets next, and when you're finished, use the "shell" function to define thickness. (removing the 2 end faces, as shown)

I've never seen a problem like this. Is there any particular reason that you're at R13, and not a later release?

---
CAD design engineering services - Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Thanks for the email - I have replied.

V13? Its what Coventry university are using, so I use the same at home to make sure it all works (or thats the theory...........)

I now have a solid part with the correct holes - unfortunately the shell function just deletes almost everything.

Also, I want to try and keep the part as a thick surface (its for a disseration and I need to demostrate an example of most of the tools that we were taught).

If it comes to it though, I will go for the solid function and make a hollow where I need to place electric window motors etc...

Thanks

One more suggestion...create a new body, then create the volume, that you want to remove, with a pad. Then, use Boolean operation to Remove the new body from the PartBody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back