Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How are hole positions verified on large parts too big for a CMM or Inspection Arm? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Gushiken

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2023
US
How are hole positions typically verified on large parts where you can't use calipers and micrometers and the part or assembly is too big for a CMM or inspection arm. I know that laser trackers can be used for verifying surface positions. Is there a YouTube video showing the process for inspecting holes that may be located at some distance from the originating surface?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How big are the parts or assemblies, and how loose are the tolerances? If it's big and loose enough, it's unlikely that a tolerance of position will be used to locate the holes.

The crankshaft of the Wartsila RT Flex is measured somehow.
I think there is a whole market for huuuuuuge CMMs and co. for large parts.

I don't have any hard numbers to give but currently (and in the past) I've worked on large weldments that have machined surfaces and holes. Often times with the Engineering team there's debate and resistance to putting GD&T on the drawings because the shop has no way to inspect them. Perhaps I should ask the question differently. With large companies that have standard procedures for receiving fabricated items, usually the drawing is the governing document to determine acceptability. With these type of large companies, does every dimension need to be verified before acceptance?

Eric Gushiken,

If you have a large, inaccurate weldment with clearance holes, you can always enlarge them a bit, allowing sloppier, more easily inspected clearance holes.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back