Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i make a preferences change permanent ( NX7.5) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanNavarroSanz

Mechanical
Oct 25, 2012
Im trying to make my Preferences > Visualization > View/screen > Rotation point Dealay changes to be permanent, but im not getting this result, im trying to save it in my roll, but with no fortune. The same about the color Tab, for the preseletcion color and so

thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Juan

Try to change it in Customer Defaults

Go to File-Utilities-Customer Defaults Select Gateway-Visualization and go to View/Screen tab. Change Rotation Point Delay value into one you want and click ok. You need to restart your NX session and then this value will become your default value for every next session.

In Customer Defaults window check what you have selected in "Defaults Level" ( top of window )
If it says "read only" you will not be able to save any changes - you will have to contact your NX admin then.
If it says "user" then you can change and save everything.

Regards

Be sure to exit NX by File -> Exit and not the X-button (in upper right corner).
Quite a few changes to the interface in the session will be undone if NX is closed with X.

/Lars

Some settings such as the preselection color are part specific; that means the setting travels with the part, it does not matter what you have set in your customer defaults. For example, if you set your preselection color to pink, I set mine to blue; when you open a part I have created, the preselection color will be blue no matter what preference you have set.

If you are creating new parts based on templates, the part settings will largely be controlled by the template parts. To make a change stick, you will have to open the template part, change the preferences in the file and save it.

www.nxjournaling.com

Since working in an environment where I'm not the only NX user, I ended up making a macro that would change these part-specific settings to what I preferred. Typically the following are affected, but not limited to only what is in this list; most originate in the Preferences pulldown:

Color palette
Background color (Modeling & Drafting)
Preselection colors & widths
Number of decimals displayed in dialog boxes (# the user can see without clicking in the box)
Drafting annotation preferences / style settings (color, size, line width and alignment)
Drafting preferences (4 tabs of different settings)
Work Plane and Grid preferences

I'm sure there are more than what I've listed above. Point being the macro or even a journal is quick and handy to address this when necessary.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 7.5.4.4 MP8
WinXP Pro x64 SP2
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Note that much of the display preferences can be passed from one file to another using something call the 'Visualization Template' which can be created by capturing all of the part-specific visualization settings and storing them in a 'template' accessible from a tab on the Resource Bar. If you wish to set the visualization sets of an existing file to match the ones from which you created the template from you simply drag the template onto the open part file and all the settings will be set accordingly. There is no need to write any macros or jounarnals.

To learn more about how this can be used to address many of the issues discussed here, go to the NX Help documentation and search on 'Visualization Templates'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John,

Without having to dig through the several pages of docs, can you tell me if the Visualization Template will address Annotation and/or Drafting Preferences?

Thanks!

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 7.5.4.4 MP8
WinXP Pro x64 SP2
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

NO, it just covers the 'visualization' or display settings.

For a list of the items which CAN be controlled by a Visualization Template, see the attached document.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b7530f3c-6024-4dff-bc30-091fe934037f&file=Visualization_Template_Scope.txt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back