Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how to assign material properties to different elements in model

Status
Not open for further replies.

w.wright1399

Bioengineer
May 4, 2017
AU
Hello

I have an Abaqus CAE file with a simple model with 20 elements, I want to assign different material properties to each element, how would I go about doing this?

Also would it be possible to do this from Matlab without having to open abaqus? I also have the the model as an .inp input file and .fil file, is there a way for Matlab to run the input file and edit the properties of each element?

Any help would be much appreciated thank you
Walter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can create an element set for each element and then define 20 solid sections (e.g.), where each one refers to a set and a material of your choice.

Depending on what you try to do, you should first check if you can do it with *Distribution and *Distribution Table. That would be more efficient.
See Analysis Users Guide 2.8.1 Distribution definition

Another option might be the use of field variables (*Field). That means you can make your material property dependent of a field variable and then define the value of that variable for each region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back