Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to create zero-thickness cohesive elements in Abaqus? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyzhang

Civil/Environmental
Dec 29, 2021
US
Dear Community,

I am working on modeling delamination between plies of composite laminate and now I need to create zero-thickness cohesive layer between plies. How can I do it? Currently I am using finite-thickness cohesive layer but the result has a small discrepancy from that of literature, where a zero-thickness cohesive layer is claimed to be used. Any idea? Thanks!

Regards,
JL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cohesive elements require quite a significant effort to model and they are usually used for finite adhesive thickness layers. In this case, surface-based cohesive behavior (cohesive contact) could be easier to implement. But if you still want to use the first approach, the Edit Mesh tool will let you modify a layer with initial finite thickness so that it becomes a zero thickness layer by making the nodes overlap.

Thanks, guys, after trying these methods I finally gave up because they are too complicated for my model. I will use finite thickness or contact cohesive behavior. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back