Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to extend a face by Tangent method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholaskj

Industrial
Jul 17, 2008
CN
Hi

I want to extend a face,by distance 10 cm,and tangent method.

But UG does not record the "Extend" operation,so i ask here.

Thanks.

Nicholas (Kun Jiang)
PhD. Candidate,SJTU.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

try a lower distance, often it helps to turn off the selection intend to single an collect the single results.
The performance is also connected to the parent face quality.
With more experience editing faces it works fine.

Try using the Trm & Extend function. This can be found under Insert>Trim>Trim and Extend from the top menu (NX4).
You can pick an edge and extend by a set distance or to a surface.

Mark Benson
Aerodynamic Model Designer

Thanks a lot!

But,Trim and Extend operation may only extend a single face,and can't use to extend a surface of body, like block - I couldn't pick edges.

Now,I only find the Extention operation in Surface tool bar of NX5 can extend a surface of block.
As I said before,this operation can't record by NX5.

So,I doesn't know how to do.

Nicholas (Kun Jiang)
PhD. Candidate,SJTU.

If you want to do this to solids you could try and use offset face. Not sure if that would give you the desired result?

Mark Benson
Aerodynamic Model Designer

Frankly I'm worried about anyone in engineering that quotes cm, but the problem as indicateed by the answers is that we don't necessarily know enough about what you are attempting.

What version are you using?

Is the face flat or curved?

What approximate size is the face to start with?

Like John I would guess enlarge surface 9 times out of 10. However a small surface especially one curved in more that one direction is liable to fold back upon itself if extended too far. Sometimes what you think you want isn't necessarily good geometry and NX will fail to make really bad geometry because the mathematical description of those objects becomes ridiculous. I think ridiculous is a good word to use for bad geometry.

Anyway you may be able to achieve a different result by changing the parameters of what you create. When you use englarge surface it will normally use a continuation of the boundary curvature to develop a larger surface, but you could consider a linear extension of the surface as a valid alternative. This can be achieved by simply ticking an option for linear englargement in the corner on the dialog box.

cheers

Hudson

Thanks a lot!

It is a engneering problem:

Sometimes,we want extend around top surface of a sheet which contain many facets (curved) .And new extension faces will be surface of mold.

However, there are continuty problem of these extension facets , and so on.

So,first step is extension problem.

We use UG NX5 .

Nicholas (Kun Jiang)
PhD. Candidate,SJTU.

I know the territory well.

I like the law extension for that task most of the time. The critial factor can be having the curves that make up the edges of your trim profile or split line to be nice and tangential to one another. If the starting model geometry is not good your extenstion surface construction will suffer.

Oh and tell the boss from me buy some advanced licenses for these tasks. Sooner or later your going to need to create some engineering surfaces and have the tools to do so. The task is theoretically simple, but as a practitioner you will find that geometrically simple in concept is not always as easy to achieve as we might like it to be.

Cheers

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back