Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to model magnetic pull? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

friedmind

Mechanical
Feb 10, 2009
AR
Hi All,
I'm trying to model a magnetic interaction between a shaft an the stator. The magnetic interaction behaves like a spring with negative stiffness: When the shaft approaches the stator, the attraction force increments.
I've tried using a connector element with negative stiffness, but Abaqus gives a error "ELASTIC STIFFNESS MUST BE POSITIVE".

The step is "Steady-state dynamics, Direct"

anyone knows how can I model this interaction?
Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean like a magnetic bearing? Those are unstable systems, and need an 'active' external PID control system to enforce stability. AFAIK, you cannot use FEM with such unstable systems alone.

If you are trying to characterize a system with a magnetic bearing, the bearing will have a positive stiffness when you look at the whole system with the active controller.

If you mean something else, such as a shaft supported normally with bearings, but subject to a magnetic field body force, then I guess that is possible. Not sure how to do that though.

Are you looking to include the damping effect from induced eddy currents?

Thanks rstupplebeen and CharlieM80 for your answers. What I'm trying to model is a Kaplan turbine shaft. It's a vertical shaft supported by two bearings and subjected to a magnetic body force on the top end (generator). This body force is attractive, depending on the distance between rotor and stator. I'm not looking to include the damping effect from induced eddy currents at this point.

I guess I could try the approach of rstupplebeen, but I don't know how to implement it.
Do I have to use DLOAD to vary a pressure load (or body force) based on the relative distance between nodes?
Can this be used on a "Steady-state dynamics, Direct" step?

Thank you very much for your help.

matias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back