Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HP 35s for you RPN engineers 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggman

Structural
Jun 9, 2003
US
Check out HPs new scientific calculator...

I don't want to get a big discussion about how they don't build them like they used to but I bought one because I smoke through a HP 33s about once a year. I never have had one of the older 32s or any of their bigger graphing calcs. I bought the 33s when I was taking the PE exam and got stuck on the RPN. I just opened the box this morning but it appears that it has a much more "classic" feel to it and the buttons seem much better. It seems to follow the same designs as the little RPN financial calculator they sell. I didn't know if others who use RPN had seen this latest offering so I thought I would post it on here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of my most often used HP41 programs is used to compute dimensions in feet, inches and sixteenths of an inch. I use this extensively when I am working with shop drawings. There is no function that does this so it is a short program; well set of programs actually. The keyboard assignment functions allow me to switch to this mode easily because the subroutines use the letter names. They'll have to pry my 41 out of my cold dead fingers.

JAE, that's a snazzy looking program! I had the phiMn equation programmed into my 48G, but at some point just started using As=Mu/4d for anything I didn't use the computer for, LOLOL, so forgot about it. Talk about Lazy Man Engineering (LME)!

Dinosaur, the 35s allows fractional input also, but I'm not sure it would be to your exact specifications.

LOL, haynewp! You make the top 5-6 MVP list in an engineering forum! I'd say that's pretty darn nerdy too, although I have no idea if you're white.

I challenged some of the younger guys on their TI's to 271828's equation. I could never break 35 seconds or so with my fat fingers, but I beat those guys every time...

We also laughed about how nerdy it was that we were challenging each other and trash talking about how fast we could do calculations on these machines...

If you "heard" it on the internet, it's guilty until proven innocent. - DCS

haynewp - that holster comment reminded me of a day when I was in college - walking to class with a Mechanical Engineering friend of mine. Snowy day in winter and we were crossing a main street which was on a small hill.

A car was coming down the street and tried to stop at the light but began sliding on the packed snow/ice which was on the road. I saw the car in time to run out of the way but my friend didn't see it until it was on him.

He quickly jumped straight up in the air and was hit by the car, rolled over the hood and windshield into a snow drift there on the side of the street.

The driver got out screeming and I was running over to him. He jumped up out of the pile of snow, grabbed his HP calculator out of his "holster" and began punching numbers.

He breathed a big sigh and said, "Thank goodness...it still works", and smiled. We thought he'd be injured or something but his only concern was the coveted HP.

HP calculators were about $400 back then and in today's dollars that's a bunch.

Yeah that's crazy. I have to get another calculator soon, I only have the grocery store model and a 16 year old 48SX that the keys are so worn out on they feel like mashed potatoes. I was very protective of it at one time.

If I get a 50G I will see if I they make a holster for it. That way I can feel like Dirty Harry since the 50G is supposed to be HP's magnum. (just kidding)

Dirty Harry, huh.

I know what you're thinkin', punk. You're thinkin', did he solve a quadratic equation with that thing or didn't he? And to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. But bein' this is an HP 50G, the most powerful calculator in the world, and it'll blow your mind with its large display and exquisite keystrokes, you could ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

I needed a finger or forearm muscle massager after a page or two of calcs with my 50g. Did I mention that the keys are very stiff and require a long travel before registering? (about 10 times already...)

I actually inquired recently about vibration analyzers built to use the HP50g for the interface and calculations. It does FFT, IIFTs, etc. and has the USB interface, so surely that could work. Currently, it's almost impossible to find any analyzers under $4k and most are over $10k.

That kind of application is about the only thing I can personally envision using such a powerful calculator for. I'm totally sold on my 35s now after using it a week.

huge thread, JAE yes the 11C was a fantastic number cruncher and I can't tell you how long I used it 10 years for sure, and I cant tell you you how many times it dropped out of my pocket and I would go scrambling after it. Gave up the ghost though and replaced it with 32SII which I've used for about the past 6 years, the enter key works but well they should never have made it so wide, it takes a pounding and oddly enough the calculator seems to be giving up the ghost today.

I have been using HP 41CV over the last 25 years and I love it. I have three used HP-41CVs that I use for spare parts.
Without RPN I feel stupid. It is the way to go.

Regards,
Lutfi

I say JAE and Lutfi should have a gunfight, errr, calculator fight--HP 50G versus HP 41CV. May the better calculator win!!!

And those of you with TI or Casio calculators--don't even try a shootout against those of us with HP's!!!

DaveAtkins

HP use to make a hard leather case for its early calculators. It was great for surveying or any type of job where you need a calculator out in the field. The advantage of a "holster" in college was that you always had your calculator with you. You could then leave your books out in the library and not worry about some one stealing your calculator.

When the early HP's came out you could leave it out with your books and no one would steal it or your books. It only took a couple of years after that, before anything left ungaurded was likely to get stolen.

Since we are on the subject, I see that HP has a 48gII on their website. Has anyone used it? How does it compare to the 48g? My first one died some time ago and my current one is the company's. The 48g might be the only thing I miss when I'm in a new job.
I think I could get used to the enter key in the corner, but I wonder how the keys feel.

Eight HP 48g and 48gx for sale on Amazon. I bought one 48g in original plastic wrap with manuals/case for $80. Get em while you can, best of all the HP's. I put the equation (F2-6) for Lr into equation library and then spent less than 16 seconds defining the variables. used a channel for a longer expression of "c".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back