Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HSS End Plate Weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galambos

Structural
Jun 27, 2005
US
I am looking for a PJP end plate weld to an HSS that is 1/4" thick. I have two that I believe I can choose from. BC-P2 on AISC pg 8-53 and BTC-P4 on AISC 8-55.

BTC-P4 would be ideal, however, it appears that even though it lists the thickness as "unlimited", there isnt enough material to form the weld. Since f=1/8" min, that leaves 1/8" material. The total weld size, E, is S-1/8", which would be 0".

Am I seeing this right?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a PJP weld, the best you will get is E=1/8". For the groove weld, bevel the ends the full thickness (1/4x1/4) and you will get the 1/8" effective. The square PJP will also get you an 1/8" effective using a root opening of 1/8".

Teguci, the weld you mention is not prequalified. The land "f" is zero, while the procedures noted require a minimum of 1/8".

Galambos, I've come scross this problem before, too. I see it the way you do.

A further complication is your 1/4"-thick HSS has a design thickness of 0.233", slightly less than 1/4". I don't know if we're allowed to use nominal thicknesses when figuring weld sizes, or if we must use the design thickness.

Might another welding process work? BTC-P4-GF in the flat or horizontal position would give you an E equal to S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back