HVAC calculation program(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollandhvac

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
NG
I know of three HVAC calculation programs now

Hevacomp, Carrier E20-II and Trace 700 form (trane)

The question is; is there a lot of differance between Carrier E20-II and Trace 700 or are they the same?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Training in Trace 700: I have used Carrier E-20 long time ago and used Elite load calc program. Only recently did I start using Trane Trace. I see why a lot of engineers like this program. What is the most effective training one can get in the program. I still don't understand and can't apply concepts such as libraries, templates etc. Thank you very much.

I have used both Carrier and Trace. The differences in the programs are in the menus and screens and the way you go about modeling your building as well as how the print outs look. I personally prefer the Carrier. I like the output pages. I feel the way the are organized it is easier to find the results you're looking for. That's just a personal preference. Theoretically both programs should give similar results. I it just comes down to what you think is easier to use. One more side note. I find technical support with Carrier is much easier to get if you have any questions with your results.

I have been using Carrier HAP for close to a year and just finished up a 3 day training course in Trace. I like both programs but HAP is limited in the number of system types it can model. As far as I know HAP cannot model ground loops, Trace can. The newest release (out in Dec I think) of Trace will also model chilled beam, underfloor air, and displacement ventilation systems. A huge plus considering the number of LEED projects we are currently working on.

Our company has had terrible experience with HAP support. Often times you have to wait a day or two for a response or even a call back. Trace has an entire staff devoted to tech support and they're great. I've called them about 10 times in the past 2 weeks. I've had my issues resolved either immediately or within a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back