Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HVAC Equations

Status
Not open for further replies.

brattong

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2002
US
Hi,

May I know when should I use q = 1.08 x cfm x (Ta-Tb), and when to use q = 4.45 x cfm x (enthalpy A - enthalpy B)?? I am really confused. Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

q=1.08 x cfm x (Ta-Tb) relates to sensible heat, q=4.5 x cfm x (delta h) relates to total heat, which is sensible plus latent heat.

Just use the first equation when it is certain that there will be no change in the moisture content (air passing through a heating coil, for example) but the second equation if the moisture content will be changing (due to condensation on a cooling coil, for example).

Regards,

Brian

You should be also careful with using volumetric flow instead of mass flow, because when air passes through cooling coil it changes density.

I think that Koske is referring to the difference between scfm and acfm: standard cfm vs. actual cfm. When using a volumetric flowrate it is important to remember that the actual cfm will decrease as the temperature of the air decreases due to density increase. Likewise air volume will increase when heated.

One way to avoid this problem is to use mass flow rate (which of course can't change without violating a few physical laws), the other is to use scfm. Scfm refers to the flowrate of air at standard pressure and temperature. Universally scfm is used to the point where most people don't bother including the 's'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back