Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HVAC Load Calculation web site ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thien2002

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
US
I am a new HVAC Engineer. My boss assigned me to work on a new Fire Station HVAC Load calculation. I used Elite Software CHVAC and Trane Load Express to calculate, I came up with very low BTU/hr for heating load and he said on the RULE of THUMB (can anyone explain this on Cooling & Heating) that I came up with LOW BTU/hr for heating, he believed it should be . He told me to perform this calculation manually and not using the software, and he also wants to use the OLD method which is CLTD. He is not too impressed with RTS and he is also against RTS method since he said RTS oversizes the zone if it's glazing (with many windows). I do not concur with his opinion since I think we have to comply with ASHRAE 2001 (our library's most updated ASHRAE is 1991 version).
Can someone point to me to a web site that has formula and method of calculation of HVAC design. Thank you very much for your patience and your sympathy.

Is this true?
RULE OF THUMB:
Heating/Cooling = 300SF/T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thien2002: In the book "HVAC Equations,Data, and Rules of Thumb" by Arther A Bell,JR (2000) his rule of thumb for Police Stations, Fire stations, and Post Officies are"
1. total heat = 250 to 350 sq ft/T (range 200-400)
2. total heat 34 to 48 btu/sqft (range 30-60)
3. room sensible heat 28-35btu/sqft (range 20-40)
4. shr 0.75-0.90
5. air change rate 4-10 AC/hr
I still prefer a complete software workup
Roger

imok2, thank you so much for your info

I wonder if there is a web site out there that including all the steps of load calculation (manually). Thank you.

Typical cooling:
350-400 SQFT/ton

Equipment room, servers, other higher load cooling:
~200-300 SQFT/ton, depending on the area served.

I'm not aware of any web sites that have the hand calcs written out, but Carrier's newer HAP has the calcs it does right in the help menu. Show your boss and he'll be inclined to trust it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back