Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hydrogen Temperatures inside Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredRosse

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2004
US
We have a hydrogen cooler for a large electric generator, which requires 2000 GPM of cooling water at 85F. I know the heat load. Evaluating cooler performance with new coolant properties an new coolant temperatures, I need to know the Hydrogen inlet/outlet temperatures.

Does anyone know the typical Hydrogen temperatures for large (300 - 600 Megawatt) pressurized hydrogen cooled machines. Have the temperatures become fairly standardized over the years (like so many parameters for well evolved machines) or are they all over the place.

I am not able to find this data on this 450 MVA machine manufactured in Japan.

Thanks in advance for any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

For 750MVA generator with casing pressure of 4Bar and load at 650MW generators cold gas temperaures are normally around 38 to 40 deg.cel and hot gas between 67 to 70deg.cel, this figures are my operational experiences, might differ from plant to plant.
Cooler inlet gas temp alarm is set at 85deg.cel and trip at 90deg.cel. For cooler outlet, alarm is normally set at 45deg.cel. On our machines, the cold gas temps is controlled by auxiliary cooling water control valve which is set at 40deg.cel average of all 4 h2 coolers.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back