Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

I need to vent 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALK35

Automotive
Apr 25, 2012
US
[banghead] I need to vent a little here.

As a company we put a lot of time and effort in the design, engineering, analysis of our products. We check to make sure the drawings are within the standards of the ASME Y14.5M. We do extensive interactive hi/lo’s on the assembly and all the components. We do all the analysis work, including FEA, ADAMS, and specialized engineering programs to optimize the design. We do all these things to ensure that we have the most optimized, cost efficient product. We pick our suppliers and they produce parts that are checked through their inspections houses, and we receive the PPAP inspection sheets claiming that the part passes all the dimensional checks. On closer review we discover, time after time, these submission reports are incorrect. Not sure if it is from a lack of knowledge, carelessness, or something a little more devious. Some things are obvious mistakes, but a lot are not so obvious. Just a warning go through your inspections reports very carefully, most are not correct.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I dealt with a customer who wanted a PPAP done. No big problem there until I reviewed the "GD&T'd" drawing...ah, that's what THEY called it. They had +/- toleranced dimensions to virtual intersections both inside & outside the part. And it went downhill from there. There were well over a hundred such dimensions that I rejected for inspection, with explanations why. The customer demanded those inspection points anyway. Didn't matter that it was useless information, they wanted it anyway. Rather sad really to waste money on such efforts when there are such significant economic difficulties these days.

Jim Sykes, P.Eng, GDTP-S
Profile Services TecEase, Inc.

Can anyone expand on the blue/white light scanning. Is it accurate enough? What are the drawbacks? This seems to be a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back