Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

If you weren't an engineer, what would you be? 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoPuntzJones

Materials
Oct 27, 2005
US
I've been thinking about this recently. Not because I am unhappy with engineering, but because so many other things also sound so interesting to me.

I'd like to hear from the rest of you. If you had to pick another career, what would you choose?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

:)

In reality, I probably would have gone into some computer related field had I not stuck with engineering. I actually started in computer science in college and then got sick of it and decided to try something new. I tried engineering and liked it so I stuck with it. It has treated me well so I certainly have no right to complain.

If I wanted to try and do something a little more adventurous though, I would really like to be able to be a recording/audio engineer and someday open up my own recording studio but that's more of a dream than a reality.

In my extreme dreams, I would like to be a musician, but that's definitely out of the picture since I'm not good enough at music to make a living off of it.

:)

Ethnomusicologist. Not gonna happen now, but in the "shoulda woulda" category. (I think I might have survived the PhD process in that field better than I did as a a linguist; the fieldwork might have kept me sane, as it did in engineering.)

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Multi-Billionaire.

That way, I can spend my time doing what every comes to mind and tickles my fancy.

Getting there is the tough part I guess, eh?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Tough question - never really considered it since engineering is not so much what I do as what I am.

If I had to work for money: stock analyst or spec ops sniper

If I had money working for me: treasure hunter (summer) mad scientist (winter)

Landscape Architect

I actually do landscape design on the side seasonally. I got a diploma from distance learning.

It's one of those professions that has little preparation in HS. That's why there is a demand for professional assistance in horticulture/landscape design. I use my engineering background to tackle drainage problems, the most prevalent challenge. Form following function generally brings good results. One year I had a string of jobs from MD's. The word got around. It helped put four kids thru college. On another occasion, I did a nice job for a subdivision developer; that brought a number of jobs.

BJC--that reminds me:
The owner of a steel erection firm somewhere in the US (those of you who know him will know exactly who I'm talking about) has on his business card, among other words, the following:

Wars Fought
Revolutions Started
Assassinations Plotted
Governments Run
Uprisings Quelled
Stud Service
Tigers Tamed
Bars Emptied
Computers Verified
Orgies Organized

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

He travels internationally with that business card? Customs officials never had a sense of humour with that stuff even prior to 7/11.

LewTam Inc.
Petrophysicist, Leading Hand, Natural Horseman, Prickle Farmer, Crack Shot, Venerable Yogi.

HgTX
If he hasn't had that card for at least 30 years he's not the first one to have it.
The one I still may have somewhere also had Manure, Strawberries, and some other things and said "Not Pizza" as a line item. I have seen lots of variations.
He wasn't a VP of anything, he was a card carrying memere of the UA (pipefitter).

Residential architect or artist. When I was in grade school I knew exactly what I wanted to be, a dictionary illustrator. I never knew how they could draw so well and so small. Ah, to be 8 again.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]
Steven K. Roberts, Technomad
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back