Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

illinois licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mah1972

Structural
Mar 11, 2008
Can someone that has an Iowa license stamp drawings with his non-renewed Illinois license? Is there some sort of reciprocity between states or why would't he just stamp using Iowa. The project I am referring to is in Illinois- doesn't this require an Illinois stamp?
Sorry if this confusing...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Each states their own licensing laws and without reading IL laws, I would say:
1) IL needs to be renewed to use that stamp
2) IA stamp not valid in IL

I reviewed some drawings recently where the structurals were stamped by a GA engineer who has applied in OH but his license has not been granted. I was forced to write a correction letter since Ohio law is clear - must be an Ohio registered design professional.

Don Phillips

Most states allow you to get a license by comity if you have a license in another state. However, I believe Illinois is more difficult to get a license in and doesn't always allow license by comity. See the ncees website.

I don't know of any state that accepts work stamped by license from another state.

Generally, if you're doing engineering for something built in another state (a structure), the seal will be for that other state. But this can be surprisingly hard to find in the engineering rules, and the idea that you can work in a state without ever setting foot there is not real obvious.

This is not necessarily the case for a manufactured item.

Then there's the "non-renewed" part, covered in another thread (I think in the Ethics forum rather than here, but I'm too lazy to check).

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

I worked for a manufacturer and some projects they asked for a stamp in the state where the product was being used. Other projects took a stamp from the state where the product was manufactured and some projects didn't ask for a stamp at all.

I think the problem is that he has a license, but does not have a physical stamp. You need to check with the board on how to handle this. He may be able to but a statement on the drawing with his name and license. Again, check with the board.

If the work is for the federal government, I believe that you may use a seal from any state in the union to seal the plans.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Qshake, I think, is correct for projects built on federal lands.

In Ohio, neither the state nor the local jurisdiction is authorized to review buildings built on federal property. For instance, I have not reviewed a post office since most are owned by the United States. However, a Social Security office, as a tenant in a privately owned building, is subject to the state/local codes, and as such, the EOR must be registed in Ohio.

Don Phillips

If I recall, Illinois, unlike California, has the most strict wording about requiring an SE to do any sort of structural work.

Even that which most of us would consider very minor.

Yep, we stamp pretty much anything that requires structural calculations. Assuming this is structural plans, he will need and SE stamp licensed in Illinois. As far as I know, Iowa doesn't require an SE license to do structural work in Iowa. He would have to pass the SE exam in Illinois to do any Structural plans.

As an Illinois S.E. I can tell you that you will need to have your stuff stamped by an illinois SE.
If you have an unrenewed SE, you will be required to renew it if you stamp something with it.
And my recommendation would be to find an Illinois SE to review your work, and stamp it alongside your Iowa stamp.
I say both stamps to keep the liabilty clear. ;)

You can find more information at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back