Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Importing .ifc format file

Status
Not open for further replies.

VQ

Structural
Apr 12, 2001
US
Anyone find a way to translate a .ifc file as to import it into Risa 3D? I've been given several .ifc files but I can't find a translator into Risa or .std file that can be read by Risa 3D.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The file was given to me for checking a structure. I don't know enough of the dxf file to know if shapes, boundary conditions, loads, load cases, etc., transfer with a dxf file format. It took weeks to get this file so not sure I can get a dxf from them in time to make check. Thanks for suggestion though.

Do you have AutoCAD? It will open .ifc file and save to .dxf format. I'm pretty sure this would only give you the geometry, i.e. the line elements that will become your members. You can get cute with assigning shapes to members by layer, but that's about it. Once you import the .dxf geometry, you'd have to go in and assign boundary conditions, shapes/materials, end releases, loads, etc.

OK, thanks everyone. Sorry for the delaying in responding. I realize now it's just essentially nodal data or BIM data as several of you have pointed out.

I should have noted that what was sent to me is a .mgb file extension. I am not sure what program creates a .mgb file.

I don't have Autocad (any cad) but I see the is a program Draftsight and will look into it.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back