indentation on RT film???

Status
Not open for further replies.

lslcpfcc

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2016
JP
Dear

this is a problems on the RT films of piping welds, which one can give me a reasonable explanation.

on the films one indication (a dark line on the root weld edge ares )looks like lack fusion ,but as my and my friend many year experience, this is not the lack fusion.

the welding process is GTAW +SMAW for 6” pipeline

anyone can explain why this dark line appeared ?

film1_t0btih.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

lslcpfcc

Looks like a bit of undercut on the toe of the root side. If it were incomplete root penetration it would be more toward the center of the weld cross section (assuming the 2 top passes are even over root). Any side wall lack of fusion would be broader and somewhat uneven along the length of the indication. Any way to confirm with mirror or borescope / camera on ID of pipe?

JR97

we cann't see the inside surface of the pipeline, undercut is impossible because of the undercut indication cannot appears so straight and even.

What is your problem ?
It is root concavity and is perfectly acceptable (based on the evidence above).
Are you a radiographic interpreter ?
Why are you posting these films and saying you have a problem - has your RT company rejected them ?

It looks like a line goes from maybe 12 to 26; It's a fine line that looks like it wanders a bit. It looks like it ends where the weld overlaps the start point. A higher resolution image might help. Attach it as a file, not as an embedded image.

DekDee

this is no central dark strip indication, so root concavity is not possible.

i dont understand for you secondary section about GTAW vertical up and SMAW cellulose vertical down.

this is no central dark strip indication, so root concavity is not possible.
And you base this on how many years interpreting RT Films ?

i dont understand for you secondary section about GTAW vertical up and SMAW cellulose vertical down

If you cannot understand what I have posted it is a waste of time to try explaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back