Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

info/education on vibration dampening 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

micjk

Mechanical
May 20, 2002
US
I work for a synthetic fibers plant and would like to learn more about vibration dampening. As with any "fiber winding" process there is always a risk of operating through multiple natural frequencies of the winding equipments components (it's just the nature of the beast). Any links to articles, white papers, or case histories would be deeply appreciated. I would also like to pursue a degree in vibration engineering. What types of courses and time span would I be looking at. I have credentials through the Vibration Institute and feel confident about my analytical skills (although the fascination I have in this field tells me there is so much more to learn). I am in my early 40's and feel that it's never to late in life to " go for the gusto " so to speak. Roy Gariepy
Maintenance and Reliability Dept.
Bayer Corporation Dorlastan Fibers Div.
Goose Creek, South Carolina USA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are probably texts on the subject of vibration damping by experts like Eric Ungar, J.E.Ruzicka, B.Lazan etc. none of which I hold or have recently seen. Try the book dealers on the internet for modern texts. Most of my holdings on the subject came from magazines like Machine Design (in the 1960's and 1970's) and Sound and Vibration (continuing) which enmasse would probably rival the best of the textbooks. Give me a zip code to go with your business mailing address and I'll send you a list of my damping and vibration isolation library holdings which have been collected over some 40 years.
I don't know where you could get a degree in vibration engineering per se but Universities in or near S.C. could probably offer something close in Mechanical Engineering. If not, try Virginia where UVa and VPI are both heavily into machinery vibration and rotordynamics programs. The ROMAC consortium at UVa is particularly active and has published many studies on rotating machinery dynamics. They are the Texas A&M Machinery Lab of the Big East. Rah rah Miami!

Thanks to both for the reply.
Electicpete,
Thanks for the lead on dampening solutions.
Vanstoja,
Thanks for the info. I guess I should have stated Mechanical Eng. as that field along with vibration both interest me. Coming from a construction background as a former civil GF then shifting to plant based work scenario has given me a lot of insight as to where I should have headed years ago ( you know the old cliche " hind sight 20/20") I now have the opportunity to pursue further education. Synthetic fiber production in the US is a slowly dying buisness due to lower production costs elsewhere (of course that holds true for many industries). It's time to spread my wings and fly, so to speak.
My mailing address is:
Bayer Corp.
PO box 118088
Charleston, SC 29423
Attn. Roy Gariepy
Building C-11-1
Roy Gariepy

I put a package in the mail to you today with 22 articles/papers on various aspects of vibration damping including material and slip damping, vicoelastic damping treatments, quiet alloys, friction damping, welded structure and bolted joint damping coefficients and others spanning the years 1956 to 2000. Main sources are ASME, Machine Design magazine and Sound and Vibration magazine. Collectively, they cite about 100+ other references. Now you can become the damping expert for this forum. Good reading!

vanstoja , can I hav a copy of that 22 articles u sent to micjk reg. damping? Im presently working at the Texas A&M turbo Lab on Internal damping and would like to know if you have any papers on damping that I am missing..if u have time u can first mail me the list of papers and we can go from there.
Thanks

anands78,
Post your TAMU mail address or e-mail it to me at "johnvan 10 @aol.com". I just found another bunch of papers on damping in my work files today so I'll add them and mail you an updated list by Friday or so. What do you consider to be internal damping... slip and material damping ala B.Lazan or something else?

No. Got your e-mail clarifying your interests and sent you a reply today discussing my prospective holdings on the subjects of internal friction-induced whirling and "packing-rub" thermo-rotordynamics. The "expert" papers in these fields are by Newkirk, Dimaroganas, Kellenberger, and others. If you're interested in "dry-friction alias full-annular" whirl, I also hold some of the more recent studies by Anna Muszynska and colleagues, Stamm and H.Black. These rotordynamics topics are not really a part of the conventional vibration damping technology.

micjk

Seems everyone's helped with the the "dampening" issue, but you also asked about a career change. Unless you can transfer units from previous coursework, you're pretty much stuck with 4 yrs to get a normal BSME, or even more doing it night-school fashion. One option for you to consider is a technology degree. Some universities offer this as an option for those not interested in all the math and science. Problem is, if you really want to understand "dampening" (I call it damping) you kind of need the math and science. One final thing to consider, is to continue in the direction you've started, taking applied engineering coursework that is focused on exactly what you're interested in to solve the problems you directly face. Sometimes this is better than a degree, because you'll learn more about your own field than you'd ever learn at a university.

pwtem,
Thanks for the reply. Night school is my only real option, although I also like your comment "... continue in the direction you've started, taking applied engineering coursework that is focused on exactly what your interested in ...", although I do like the mathematics portion of engineering. I have worked in the field for years and have always felt that an engineer should spend at least 5 years in the field before begining design work just to get a feel for how we can make life (at times) miserable for others. Oh, and thank you for correcting me, every time I have read an answer to this thread I have thought that something wasn't right "dampening" instead of damping.
Kind regards, Roy Gariepy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back