Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Initials vs full name

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-C

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2003
US
Is it part of ANSI standard to put the initials in the title block? That is what we have traditionally done but are considering using full names of the engineers and drafters. If ANSI doesn't specify, what would be the pros/cons of doing this?

Jason

SolidWorks 2017

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My employee number is an electronic signature, and is applied as such by our PDM system.

So are the numbers of whoever checks and approves my drawings or my people's drawings.

Well I guess the number works ok in a smaller environment however we have 600+ PDM users, numbers would make me very unpopular.

Jason

SolidWorks 2017

Why?

If everyone has a unique number, what's the problem?

In 600+ users, given that there's a lot of commonality as far as which letters start names, I've got to believe you probably have a lot of shared initial sets, and more than a few shared first/last combinations.

If I sent prints to the shop floor with numbers for created, engineered, last changed on a document, they'd hang me.

Jason

SolidWorks 2017

ctopher said:
If the industry uses engineers that are certified nuclear or other type of professional that uses stamps or ?, the number will not work.

We do it. The PE stamps don't have employee numbers, just the drawing title block.

One purpose is, if they have an issue on the manufacturing floor, they know who the engineer is, and thus who to call with questions.

Title block signatures don't tell you any of that. They simply tell you who WAS responsible for the print at one or more given points in time, not who IS currently the design control nor who WILL be answering the shop's questions. If there's a problem on the shop floor that the manufacturing engineer can't handle they need to take the 30 seconds to open PLM and find the current design control. In small companies that might be an engineer. In large companies where an entire department is responsible for a given part type or size, the design control is a manager who will often assign issues to whomever is available.

Stamping prints happens regardless of what is/isnt in the title block.

that's pretty strange to me.

The employee number is unique and unambiguous- much less ambiguous than using initials in a large organization where overlap is almost guaranteed. It is more robust from an accountability standpoint than using initials would be.

How is a number topped in any different than a name our initial typed in?

It's not.

Traceability and accountability must be assured by business process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back