Insufficient Virtual Memory Problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jargon5

Aerospace
Aug 11, 2005
US
Hello All-
I have a huge file that has an excess of 220,000 nodes (200,000 elements), and each time I run the analysis, I get the Fatal Error S1110, which states the following solution options:

Increase your virtual memory setting (see virtual memory in Windows Help). If this does not
correct the problem, set the Model Initialization directive, RAM, to a smaller value. Most
versions of Windows have a 2 GB limit for a single process. This limit can be reached when
the RAM directive is set above 900 MB. If neither of these actions help, consider selecting the
PCGLSS or VIS solver on the DECOMPMETHOD directive.

I have done all these options, and my model still will not run. Does anyone have a solution besides modifying my model with a coarser mesh?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. Set DECOMPMETHOD to the PCGLSS solver.
2. Set SPARSEITERMODE to 3. This uses the least memory and but you may not get SPC forces, not sure.
3. Windows XP has the ability to access 3GB of RAM and I know NEiNastran supports this mode. I think the process is as simple as putting a /3GB in your boot.ini file but I would ask Noran support about this as they have a file that talks about it. Maybe you can find something on the Microsoft website about the 3GB switch.

4. Make sure you have your page file set to access at least 3GB. This is in Windows under the control panel, system icon, then under performance.

How much virtual and physical memory us being reported in the .log file? Where is it failing with the insufficient memory error (what module)? If you have surface contact this could be an entirely different problem. Let me know and I can tell you how to fix that as well.

Thanks dcmax...I checked the log file, and below was the exact documentation. Any help would be always wanted.

FATAL ERROR S1110: INSUFFICIENT MEMORY AVAILABLE TO CONTINUE

VIRTUAL MEMORY = 512342015 WORDS 3908.9 MEGABYTES
REAL MEMORY = 202270208 WORDS 1543.2 MEGABYTES

DRIVE c: DISK SPACE = 3930289152 WORDS 29985.7 MEGABYTES

EXECUTION TERMINATED DUE TO A SYSTEM ERROR

TOTAL WARNINGS = 33
TOTAL FATAL ERRORS = 1

set the directive MODLSTATUS=BOTH (under output control) and then run the model. There should be a file that ends with .sta that shows what your screen output looks like. Or, just copy what is in the Editor status window and show those lines before this error. I can not tell from your posting where the fatal is occurring.

1. Do you have any surface contact in the model?

2. Did you try making the settings in #1 in my original message and did that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back