Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Intelligent pigging - minimum velocity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

London

Structural
Apr 2, 2009
GB
Hi
I am doing a study on intelligent pigging. We are laying a new 22" pipeline and tying into an existing line with a Wye piece.

I line will need pigging to determine corrosion loss during its life

Towards the end of field life, velocities of oil are going to be very low (0.1 m/s or less)

Is there a minimum velocity that an intelligent (MFL) pig can run?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bad news. Don't worry about the pig, the minimum velocity for oil lines is 10 x faster than that.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

The minimum velocity required for pigging is 0.5m/s, the optimal for MFL tools is 0.5~1m/s for liquid pipelines and 3~8m/s for gas pipeline.

For liquid line, to achieve high pressure/velocity you could use water [off course treated and inhibited] with additional pump.

The IP vendors data sheets will provide the tool specific pressure/velocities.

Narendranath R
Pipeline engineering is made easy with state of the art computer software, visit

thanks narenr

this is the information I have also. the reason why I ask the question is because I believe the minimum speed is not due to the Magnetic Flux Leakage energising the line, but rather the odeometer on the pig itself.

I have spoken to one vendor and they have said that MFL is good for 0-5m/s.

now all I need is someone to back that information up

The induction coil on the tool may require a minimum speed to measure the rate of change of flux density. Slow is good; but not too slow! NACE RP0102 and API Std 1163 will guide you in what to go through with service providers in order to confirm pig performance capabilities.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

London

Slow speed is not a concern with the newer Hall Effect Tools, it's battery life that would be a problem for extreemly long duration runs. There are ways to extend battery life if necessary.

Regards

William

William G. Callahan P.Eng.
Pipeline Management Group
Baker Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back