Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

interview question 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstones

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2010
US
So yesterday I had interview, everything went well and I was very pleased with the opportunities. I'm still a young engineer, I've been with my company just over 2.5 years but its time to move on. This new job will be my 2nd job out of college so I feel I have some room to haggle. Just as I was being walked out, following the interview, the HR rep had asked me what my current salary was. I felt as though I was being put on the spot and wasn't totally comfortable revealing this info. At this point I gave the information accurately to what I make.

My question is, at this point I'm wondering how to approach this question by not selling myself short of what I could be getting paid. Do I say what I would like to get paid? Or is there an answer to somewhat avoid the topic to discuss at a later date?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just come out and say that "I expect to be paid X-amount plus some specific benefits (like an extra week of vacation), I hope that this is within your budget".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back