Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Interview scheduling conflict gone bad 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ischgl99

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2002
US
I sent my resume in to a local company unsolicited and they called very quickly for an interview saying they were planning on looking for someone with my qualifications for a new position. I had to reschedule due to an unexpected meeting time change for exactly the time for the interview that I could not get out of. I gave the company three days notice and the HR manager said they would try and reschedule for the following week and would call me back once she had checked schedules. I left a voicemail and sent an email over the next couple weeks asking when they can reschedule and never heard anything back. Needless to say they are no longer interested in me.

I was a hiring manager in a past position and there were times interviews needed to be changed on my side and I was always flexible with the interviewees since I know things can come up that are unavoidable, so I am a bit confused they would lose interest so quickly. To make it more interesting, I work for a company that is potentially a very large customer to this company, to my knowledge we do not buy anything from them now, and was looking forward to seeing their operation since there is a project where I could recommend their product. I would have thought they would have wanted me in for the interview at least to get some info from me about my company and to show off their company.

After this long winded tale, my question for the hiring managers out there, is having to reschedule an interview really that bad even with several days notice?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JMW,
You mean they cannot do that already?
Whatever happened to certifiably insane?
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

It's not necessarily how a person gets into financial straights that matters... as you said, cass, $#!t happens. But once they're in that position, the need to get out of that position can make them take actions they normally would not. So yes, I still believe that credit scores have a loose relation to larger issues.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

There has been a rise of the payday check loans in this country and pawn shop business and the "sell your unwanted gold jewellery for cash today!" scams all of which indicates that more and more people, more than ever in the past, are being affected by the economic climate (and idiot governments and the stupid Euro and sub-prime mortgages and QE - good articles on why QE is pushing up oil prices, and every other household cost, though why this should come as a surprise defeats me).
I get agitated by my credit card interest rates but some of these loans are at 4000% percent annual interest.
They are proving a quick way to get worse off for those who are already as badly off as they can be.
I am staggered that there is no regulation.

JMW

People aren't worried because they don't have to be. Section 8 housing, food stamp programs, welfare programs, "disability" for those who don't wanna work, these people don't care because they have never had to struggle. They exist on our backs and nothing is making them change their ways. America has so much opportunity but a lot don't care because they can exist the same without any effort. If you don't believe me then goto wal-mart on the day of or the day after the government issues social program checks. A couple of weeks ago there were some less than desirable males in my local wal-mart blatantly trying to pick up some welfare queens. It's almost like a club now where they get their checks and fill their cart to the brim and carry on like nothing is wrong with what they are doing. It doesn't mean anything to them, they have all they need and are content with with. I hear that things are worse in some ways in Europe, I feel for them then.

Put yourself in some of these people's shoes before making flippant comments. With the massive layoffs and outsourcing the past decade, I wonder how many engineers could end up in similar straits. Yes, there will always be abusers of any system, but do we automatically equate every person who gets government assistance as a lazy dead-beat? That is certainly a broad brush to paint with. Also, I can tell you that it is near impossible to get food stamps in my state. My brother is in his 50's and has never received government assistance, but lost his job last year. He applied for food stamps to help him until he gets back to work and was turned down because he makes too much money. Oh, by the way, he makes a whopping $250 a week on unemployment and scrapes by to pay his rent and for his monthly prescriptions. He is not at Wal Mart on the first of the month gloating with carts full of goods, but just needed some help and could not get it. Take heed lest you think you stand and fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back