Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inventions You Would Like To See - In Your Lifetime 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
Some of my colleagues can cite chapter and subsection from the ASME code. I am lucky if I spell ASME correctly all the time.

I would like to see, in my life time (so I can use it) an external memory drive. And I mean that literally. I want to be able to put it near me, and have it beam me (like Star Trek I guess) all the data and info it has stored in it...like the ASME code. This way, if I can't remember, it will remember for me.

As I understand it, Prof. Dumbledore (Harry Potter) has a similar device where he stores his extraneous thoughts for retrieval at a later time. So, I guess it should be coming soon ...

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A cure for X,Y,Z is always a hope for most. But a cure just puts off death untill the next set of incurables. People die and it always hurts themselves and others. Planned painless death is what I'd like.

SomptinGuy
I agree, live without illness & die healthy, preferably while sleeping after celebrating with friends & relatives at my own wake. [smile]

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

I'd like to see a device which stops cars from driving too close behind you. I envisage this this to be a large spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

corus

'I agree, live without illness & die healthy, preferably while sleeping after celebrating with friends & relatives at my own wake."

Everyone wishes secretly to oneself to have this peaceful form of end,but very few really are lucky. Most have a very painful and traumatic end.

If there can be a cure for Cancer and AIDs,2 major killers,I think we are close to the statement.

Wish have a vaccination for these 2 diseases.

I like this sort of amusing diversion from time to time, but many of these inventions could obviate the need for engineers. For example, we engineers are asked to minimize resources necessary for obtaining a specific result. An unlimited, non-poluting energy source would ulitmately eliminate many entire fields of engineering. Thank the lord it is impossible.

The transporter (e.g. Star Trek) would be among the most awesome inventions. I recently heard someone made another step forward in developing something along those lines. But I can envision how the transporter could become the most terrible weapon we have ever seen.

A device that makes politicians tell the truth? Dude, what if your wife got a hold of it?!!!

Personally, I would just appreciate it if someone (doesn't have to be Microsoft, but no objections if they did) would create a reliable operating system that provided substantial protection against virii <sp?>. I don't live anything like a luxurious life, but if I could just get a stable home computer. My son is always loading some game on the computer and making it nuts. And then I get the usual periodic virus infection. It just makes me crazy.

Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, cure disease, all that stuff: not going to happen. Too bad. Looking forward to heaven, though.

UcfSE, multiple stars for you!

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

UcfSE ... great suggestion, but that would make walking around very difficult. There would be too many people lying on the ground writhing in agony ... and I dread to think what would happen when driving. [lol]

[cheers]

UcfSE: you get my star- even though what you think is stupid is probably very different than what I think is stupid (given our discussion on other threads!)

molten, lol. That's pretty good. Trust me, I've seen your profile page and I firmly believe you are anything but stupid. Besides, I don't mean differences in opinion, I mean beyond gump.

A Klingon Cloaking device....to hide my car from traffic wardens and speed cameras.
I understand (and this wasn't a Ist April news report) they can already do this in the microwave range (radar proofing ships), but invisibility in the visible spectrum is a bit more difficult.
Other uses?

JMW

Well, sort of ... I was thinking more electronic than organic.
As with any device, I like to have control of the "off" switch.
Besides, the cats would never leave me alone if I had a fish stuck in my ear.

[cheers]

hopefully nothing like this c5

IMG

I guess that should be a forum of what you never want to see again.

FOETS
"social drinker with a golfing problem"
4drkxud.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back