Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inventions You Would Like To See - In Your Lifetime 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashereng

Petroleum
Nov 25, 2005
CA
Some of my colleagues can cite chapter and subsection from the ASME code. I am lucky if I spell ASME correctly all the time.

I would like to see, in my life time (so I can use it) an external memory drive. And I mean that literally. I want to be able to put it near me, and have it beam me (like Star Trek I guess) all the data and info it has stored in it...like the ASME code. This way, if I can't remember, it will remember for me.

As I understand it, Prof. Dumbledore (Harry Potter) has a similar device where he stores his extraneous thoughts for retrieval at a later time. So, I guess it should be coming soon ...

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about cars that don't crash (sensors, computer controls)? How about a robot driver so I could work, play, or sleep during the commute?

I must be the only goof who would NOT want a robotic driver. But then I'm on two wheels, and riding a motorcycle is somewhat therapeutic after a rough day. If you don't ride, I can't explain it. Something about 80+ while straddling an engine is exhilirating. Now if only I could convince the troopers and sheriffs to stay indoors when I'm on the road...hmm, a free Krispy Kreme donut machine in every police station??? =)

No you aren't the only one. A lot of people either (a) don't trust the robot (fair enough) or (b) claim to enjoy driving (also fair enough). The problem is that most people (ie more than half) are incredibly bad drivers. They don't have accidents. Accidents are fairly rare. What they have is a failure to understand what driving is about, and then physics takes over.

For that reason I mostly loathe driving on public roads, and would happily hand over to a very nervous robot with better senses than mine for 80-90% of my driving.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Lexus already has a car that parallel parks itself... see video.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

In the near future we cannot park our car in the pocket.
For the moment bellow is the solution

smart_city_car_3.jpg

[atom]

Computer control of cars on several lanes, or a special road, for travel to larger areas would be okay. I enjoy driving most of the time, but it would be nice to just hand the car over to a computer for the daily commute.

Yeah but what if you are in the middle car? How do you get out?

A coworker and I were thinking about this the other day.
When you walk into a meeting everybody gets issued an electronic dog collar.
Then when somebody says something stupid, if three people hit their button within two seconds of the end of their statement they get shocked.
This would definitely help speed up meetings.

Ussuri,
The sky hook has been invented.
Just put on your drawings the following.

"Support by field contractor."

I would like to adapt that to dog owners. If after their dog poops, and they don't scoop within 5 minutes, they get a shock until they pick it up. The collar would of course be tuned to the DNA of their pooch, so as to avoid cross talk with other dog owners in the area.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back