Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ISO Symmetrical Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe T refers to tolerance, see this example from ISO 4759-1.

ISO_4759-1_hex_flange_a3pkse.png

0.27 represents "radial" or maximum deviation in one direction, that is 1/2 of total tolerance zone, hence T/2.

Total tolerance zone will be 0.54. Why? I have no idea. Maybe it makes calculating tolerance stack-up easier - you can see quickly which tolerances should be split in half.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Season, could you disclose where the drawing comes from?

I found mention of "radius" tolerance zone used alongside with "diameter" in GD&T on some Chinese factory site:
So, it looks like something very old and/or very local.

AK, you seem to know the most about it. What are the advantages of using "half-tolerances"?

The introduction in GOST 2.308-79 for the symmetry is the same as in ISO 1101 - "The tolerance zone is limited by two parallel planes a distance “T” apart, symmetrically disposed about the median plane, with respect to the datum."
“T/2” is radial value. It is true for Symmetry, Tolerances of Profile, Positional and special term Cross Axes. "T/2" usage is quite common for symmetry on the represented drawings according to GOST.
IMHO there are no any advantages of using "half-tolerances" except the confusions with symbol R applied for non revolved features.

download.aspx

Should be something like this:

1. Steel 4140 or something very close, Class 10.9 Hardness HRC 32…39 per ISO 898-1
2. General tolerances: outside dim’s H14, inside h14, other +/- IT14/2
General tolerances of form ISO 2768-2 H
3. Coating: Phosphate dipping
4. Mark manufacturer ID and Class
5. Other requirements per ISO 4759-1-2009 grade A

I would like to write glad to help you Season but CH re-posted everything ahead [smile]
Just confirm the translation is correct. One comment regarding to general surface roughness, I guess you can see this symbol in upper right corner on the drawing.
The meaning is the same as general surface roughness max. allowed value unless otherwise specified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back